Datnoid aggression/compatibility

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I have a 12" NTT that I had in an admittedly very overstocked 120 gallon. When I took a couple fish out, the stock left was the NTT, a 9" flagtail, 7 3-7" clown loaches and a 12" L-600 pleco. The dat then became aggressive toward the flagtail. I borrowed a tank from a friend and put the dat in it temporarily. If I was to put the dat back in and take out the flagtail, would he just turn his focus to the loaches?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Dats aren't normally aggressive towards other species. Flagtails can be very annoying fish. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Doubt he would pay any attention to the loaches at all and like sicksauce said, you could always add a couple more dats to spread the aggression.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
The flagtail was getting REALLY beat up. I'm afraid adding smaller dats wouldn't help disperse the aggression being that he's 12" already. And I don't really have the tank space (or money lol) for 2 or more bigger dats. I bought 5 small spotted silver dollars to grow out to possibly replace the flagtail thinking that would give the dat more targets. Just a hard decision because I really like the flagtail..

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
I had this problem with my NTT and a 8" Pictus cat. They worked it out in their own and the Pictus knows now not to go to the dats corner

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Thought I'd update this thread. After moving the dat into another tank, I had decided to get rid of the flagtail. I was afraid that even with the spotted silver dollars the dat would still harass it if I put him back in this tank. Shortly after that I picked up a 6-7" Oscar. After a couple weeks I began to have issues with the Oscar harassing the loaches. That was when I decided to see what would happen putting the dat back in this tank. The Oscar and dat's aggression has basically cancelled each other out. It's been about 3 months and everything has been great since adding the dat back in. When moving him I was able to see he's pushing 13" now. I'm in the process of trying to sell the pseuda to lighten the load on the tank for now. I have a 210 I recently picked up, but it'll be awhile before it's set up. If I don't sell the pleco I have a friend that has room for him until the 210 gets set up.

uploadfromtaptalk1386553842599.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1386553874927.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1386553979440.jpg

Reactions: Ockis27
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store