Sad Day.........Lost one of my Girls

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I came home from a week of camping to find one of my female BD's Dead. I got her as a pup 2 years 8 months ago. My son was home while I was away and he said he fed last night and she ate well showing no problems. He is almost as much into Rays as I am and knows what he's doing (going to University next year to become a Vet). Last time I lost a ray was 2 1/2 years ago when a pup I imported died a few months later after arriving nearly dead.

Pic Last Week

IMG_3626.JPG

Pics Today

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

She was in one of my 400 gallon tanks along with 2 other females (1 her size & 1 bigger). Tank is on a drip of 3 gallons per hour. That's probably what saved the tank form fouling up. Tested water parameters and Ammonia / Nitrite 0. Tested drip to make sure there was no chlorine - tested 0.

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

I have 2 other tanks on the same drip systems with young rays in them and all are fine. I checked her out (even did autopsy which I'll post in another thread) and no signs of injuries, wounds, or parasites. Gills look fine with no redness or signs of infection. I cut her open and no signs of internal parasites, worms, etc.

Very Sad :cry: Had her since a pup and she was just coming to breeding age.

IMG_3626.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
that is a real bummer. sorry for your loss. must be even worse when there is no obvious sign or reason for the death. Must make you worried for the other rays.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Very sorry to hear that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks Guys

that is a real bummer. sorry for your loss. must be even worse when there is no obvious sign or reason for the death. Must make you worried for the other rays.
It does make me worry not knowing the cause of death as I have 11 other rays. At least knowing the cause I can do something about it. I'm very careful with my rays and very selective of other fish I buy as to not introduce any diseases or parasites. I haven't bought a fish in over 6 months. All my tanks are individually filtered as well. She ate fine the night before and showed no signs of anything bothering her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store