Hydroponics Floating Plants as Pothos question

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
I have a 300 gallon tank, 8x2x30"H that i recently purchased. I built a custom stand and custom canopy for the tank. The tank is at my dads work shop and directly above the tank is a convienant 8ft shop light with 2 8ft bulbs. I am planning to stock my tank with at least 3-4 stingrays plus other fish. I know the bioload of the rays alone will be very high. And no matter what filtration i have I will still need to do WC.

I wanted to take the extra step on top of my sump, and setup a diy hydroponics system on top of my canopy. The reason being is that, I am not using the shop light to light my tank, i have seperate leds enclosed in the canopy. The space between the canopy and the shop light is about 1ft. The shop light is on when my dad comes to work in the morning and is turned off when he leaves (regular intervals of lighting for plants).

I was thinking of buying those underbed sliding bins that you can get from walmart. The dimensions are convienantly 40"L x 20"w x 6"H. That means I can fit two of them on top of my canopy. I wanted to add floating plants since they multiply fast have very dense rooting systems and on a smaller scale such as my nano shrimp tanks, they do a good job of eliminating ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.

To set it up, I will drill the bins just like how you would drill a tank. Add two bulk heads in each bin, one for return and another for the drain. I would have to get a seperate powerhead that pumps water from the sump that splits its flow into two of the bins and then itll overflow back into the sump.

My canopy is built on 2x1 and is very sturdy that should support these two bins.

Ultimately my question is, with these two bins full of either dwarf water lettuce, red roof floaters, Frogbits, or salvinia minima would it do a better job in remove nitrates as a couple of those common vine plants that people use as pothos? Also a lot of people mentioning a couple months of establishment before these vine plants start working. Floating plants work and spread in a couple days. If anything I wanted to use the salvinia minima, they seem to get very dense, small leaves but larger roots.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
Many of us use pathos because it is easy to grow, does not require much care and does a great job in removing nitrates. I image the other plants u listed should be fine but I can't say for sure. Test out which plants work out for you. Post your results with some pics and maybe we can all learn something. Good luck.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used the floating plant water hyacinth in window sumps and it works well in reducing nitrate.

The above hyacinth stayed viable all winter in the window.

I tried it under artificial light and it didn't fare as well, frog bit did a little better. Could have been my bulbs, I think a more expensive better quality might have worked better.
Can't speak to Salvinia because no personal experience. I do use pothos because it works well under atificial light, as do the floating plant water sprite.

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
Yeah so my idea will definitely work. Salvinia Minima grows well under artificial lights. Its actually better than frogbit. Thanks for the info!

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I did some research on plants (note: Not a botanist), and combined that with some general knowledge. Many terrestrial plants typically thrive on nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are sources of nitrogen.

Not all plants absorb those components equally, nor the forms of nitrogen equally. I found that many water based plants absorb the same components, again not equally.

People have tested things like pothos, sweet potatoes, rice, bamboo, etc.

It's reasonable to expect that many plants will reduce nitrogen in the tank, but not all are equally efficient. Some propagate too slowly, some too fast, some don't look so good in a tank, some are eaten too much by fish, some require lots of light, some are illegal in certain areas of the world, etc. However, I think you can try a few things that will work for you and you should expect some success.

I'll be trying pothos in my sump and floating plants as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store