Ehiem 2262

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
As many know I set up my 350 in February with a 2262. I had done a lot of research on filteration because I wanted canister filters. Along with that research I read that a lot did not clean these filters from 6 months - year.

I just broke it open for the first time since setting it up and I will now be doing it every 2-3 month's. The filter was so dirty that I was disappointed in myself for it going this far. Although I was going on what I've read because I had never used it in my 30+ years in the hobby, I feel I should've known better.

Why this post you might ask yourself? Well I just wanted to help those other fish keepers that might be thinking about or just got this filter. 6+ months for an average stocked tanked is just to long in my opinion. I will definitely be getting another in the next few months because it is a workhorse, however cleaning it way more often.

Sent from my LGL86C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I agree with you regarding the need to adjust the cleaning schedule. Of course it will vary on stocking levels, fish size, tank size, etc., there are a lot of variables that come into play.

People also need to remember that just because you can't see the dirt and debris, it is still in the filter and needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. I've experienced the same results with mine that you have and make more of an effort to keep on a regular schedule.

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
Yup. I clean mine at least once a month. I've gone out 2-3 and don't like what I see when they go out that long. Tank parameters still are great but the fear of a power outage fuels the need to clean them often. Media is cheap, fish aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Also, I use the back flush on the filter to change my water(you'll need to turn off the power of the filter and use the back flush port. That'll also help.

After a while I decided to use one of my smaller filter to do water polishing and removed water polishing stuff out of the 2262, I think that also prolongs the user maintenance period.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gulperfan220

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
mancheter, nh
a pre-filter sponge will greatly reduce cleaning your canister, I use sponge filter for aquaclear 70 cut to fit the intake of my eheim 2217 I clean once a year and inside of eheim is very clean. I also did same for my aquaclear 70 power filter. I rinse prefilter about once a week and leave the canister and power filter alone.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
In addition to the previous posts: a canister "holds" more waste early on when the BB isn't yet maximized. waste is not breaking down at the full rate. even with some established media planted in there, and using Stability, growing BB takes time to saturate all the media.
There is a huge difference inside my can since adding Rid-X. it really reduces sludge. but the first time you use it, DO add after a filter maintenance.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I go by flow rate. I have three now on my tank. The ones that are purely biological I don't clean as often, the one that I have mechanical action I clean quite often.
i would like to know how you check your flow rates??

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
since i have 2x2262 i usually alternate the filter clean once every month.. 2-3months is the maxium length time for my 180.. i do the same for my 75 gal also but with 2x2217s.. my new project is my 300gal with sump so elimates the cleaning but just pulling the filter sock and clean that only.. dont even have to worry about the matrix inside the sump in the future cleaning..

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
since i have 2x2262 i usually alternate the filter clean once every month.. 2-3months is the maxium length time for my 180.. i do the same for my 75 gal also but with 2x2217s.. my new project is my 300gal with sump so elimates the cleaning but just pulling the filter sock and clean that only.. dont even have to worry about the matrix inside the sump in the future cleaning..
This is what I'm going to do....I've tried sumps in the past and didn't like them. I'll get my 2nd 2262 shortly to replace the xp3 that is on it also right now.

Sent from my LGL86C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store