sump accessibility

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I've never had a sump but may in the near future and was wondering what is the minimum overhead clearance needed for maintenance? If my upgrade plans go through i want the stand as close to the same height as my current stand which offer 24" internal height and can be tweaked to 26-27". I ould like to get a used 55 or 75 for the sump to help with costs and this would mean 6-7" of head room plus 3.5" between the horizontal 2x4s running from front to back.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I've never had a sump but may in the near future and was wondering what is the minimum overhead clearance needed for maintenance? If my upgrade plans go through i want the stand as close to the same height as my current stand which offer 24" internal height and can be tweaked to 26-27". I ould like to get a used 55 or 75 for the sump to help with costs and this would mean 6-7" of head room plus 3.5" between the horizontal 2x4s running from front to back.
That's about the clearance I have for my 75g sump. What type of sump setup do you plan to run. That will make a huge difference.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I would like to do something like jcordonas diy sump ind the diy stickies. Overflow through sock the over a baffle to the bio like a wet dry then through a sponge and over a short baffle to the pump section. Other than changing socks, occasionally rinsing the biomax, rinsing the final sponge I'm not sure what else I'll need to do in there. Maybe an occasional vacuum? I have also never seen the pump(s) in person so I have no idea as to their size should I need to replace one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store