My 300 Gallon Build For My Rays

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
I just wanted to share my 300 gallon build that I am currently working on for my Hystrix stingrays. Any input would be much appreciated as I am setting up this tank specializing for the rays. I was lucky enough to get a an offer to trade my 125 complete setup for just the 300 gallon acrylic tank. The footprint is 8'x2'x30" (LxWxH). As much as a want a 3' or 4' wide tank I couldn't let this offer slip away. Since it was a tank only I had to build everything myself (Spent a lot of time in the DIY Tank and Stand threads):

IMG_0452.JPGIMG_0450.JPGIMG_0451.JPGIMG_0562.JPGIMG_0561.JPGIMG_0563.JPGIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0591.JPGIMG_0599.JPGIMG_0612.JPGIMG_0635.JPG

As of today I just finished all the wood work and applied the first coat of paint. Next up is the filtration. I plan on housing 3 hystrixs (2 females and 1 male). I am going to be using a spare 125 and turn it into a sump.

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
that looks great

but just out of interest why is the hood so big that must be a lot of weight in the tank

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Looks nice!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
All looks great to me, and very nice work on everything. will be allot of room for your rays which they will really enjoy allot.

I think he means why is it built out of such heavy materials, most people don't use 2x4 for the hood. But it's not going to hurt anything as long as its ok on the tank. The hood on my 120 is stupid heavy, but might be why I see a little crazing on the top of the tank from extra stress.

that looks great

but just out of interest why is the hood so big that must be a lot of weight in the tank

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The canopy is made by 1x2 not 2x4 so it is a little bit lighter. The reason I made it so strong is because I came up with a really crazy idea. If you guys look at the last picture with the canopy completed, there is an 8ft shop light right above the tank that has two 8ft bulbs that is about 1ft above the canopy.

I wanted to add two walmart underbed sliding bins that are really shallow but have a huge surface area on top, 40x20x6"H. I would add a separate pump that pumps water from the return end of the sump up into these two bins and I will be drilling an adding a bulkhead on each bin that drains back into my filter socks for another cycle through the sump before pumping back into the tank.

Basically its going to be a secondary sump. A sump of a sump. Using this method I was going to add Salvina Minima Floaters. They grow very dense and very fast since they are a floating plant. Compared to frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, duckweed, or any other floaters, I've noticed that they grow very packed and their leaves are small so more plants can fit per surface area but their rooting system is also larger than any other floating plant for my use. The only other one I would think about using is dwarf water lettuce since their roots can grow very large and very long but not as many plants can fit in one area compared to the salvinia minima.

If i did use salvinia minima, they only take up 2inches in the top of the bins, so I will have 4" of extra space in these bins, I was thinking I can either add more media which will increase weight or I could just add other plants that grow without being planted like anacharis. The whole point of this is to just take it one step further in my filtration and utilizing the shop light above my tank to help with removing nitrates sorta like those pothos plants people put in their tank. I assume salvinia spreads and grows very fast so they must be sucking up all the nutrients in the water

I would really like feedback on this hydroponic/plant filtering sump that I am thinking about doing on top of my sump. As for the weight of the canopy, It is actually really light and can be lifted in the air by two people for a short period of time enough to place it where I want on the tank without sliding it. Tank and stand is 60" high.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
great idea but i would be worried with all the weight from the bins and hood on top of a acrylic or even glass tank

looks freat

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
Does look great - look forward to further updates.

Will it just be 3 Hystrix living in there? 30 inch of water with 3 rays on the bottom could look kinda empty?

No Silver Dollars? Arowana? Heros Severus?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store