What's a fair price for a medium size African Aro?

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
I went to a store in Orange county, california and they were selling African Arowanans that were about 8" for $170 + tax. Im pretty sure that's overpriced. What's a fair price for a healthy African aro at that size?

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Not really overpriced IMO

Sent from my SCH-M828C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
lol everything is cheaper when it comes from China, even aros! ;)

IMO the price of the fish is irrelevant when compared to the cost of the tank, the power, water and food bills etc etc spread over the life of the fish. If you pay $170 for it and keep it for ten years, that fish costs $0.05 per day. You could possibly get one cheaper online, but consider that A; you wouldn't be able to view the fish before purchase, B; it might end up a lot more expensive if it doesn't make it thru shipping, C; you'd have to wait instead of going down to the store right now and getting it, buying from the LFS seems like a good idea to me, even if it does cost a little more.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I went to a store in Orange county, california and they were selling African Arowanans that were about 8" for $170 + tax. Im pretty sure that's overpriced. What's a fair price for a healthy African aro at that size?
It's overprized. Why not pay $180 for my 18" African Aro? :)

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
Way overpriced. 4 inch babies were selling for $40-$50 down here last december? And since then i have seen the market flooded with bigger ones. 14-18 inch. Vendors were asking $200 and up for those but in socal ive seen some as low as $160 for a 14 inch afro.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
lol everything is cheaper when it comes from China, even aros! ;)

IMO the price of the fish is irrelevant when compared to the cost of the tank, the power, water and food bills etc etc spread over the life of the fish. If you pay $170 for it and keep it for ten years, that fish costs $0.05 per day. You could possibly get one cheaper online, but consider that A; you wouldn't be able to view the fish before purchase, B; it might end up a lot more expensive if it doesn't make it thru shipping, C; you'd have to wait instead of going down to the store right now and getting it, buying from the LFS seems like a good idea to me, even if it does cost a little more.
THIS. Electricity, food, and water are the main costs I look at. A fish at a decent price that is right in front of you that you can take home and have it floating in a tank within 15 mins. Also not having to wait/receive a dead fish and be sad...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store