Plant algae control with Africans?

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
In my 75g mixed African cichlid tank, I've got a few plants, not many. I'm starting to get brown algae on the plants. Also starting to get the same brown algae on my 3D background.
What can I use to control/eat the algae on the plants and background? My Otocinclus cats seem to be doing a good job in my smaller tank, along with Amano shrimp, but both of those would probably end up as snacks in my cichlid tank...
I'm a little hesitant to add snails... not sure how cichlids would handle them... and not sure what snails to add. Also don't really want to add to the bio-load any more than neccessary...
Any reasonable options?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
snails and shrimp will be eaten... tried it before but hey it's a nice little change in the diet.
I've also had brown algae on my SA planted cichlid tank. I find large frequent water changes to help. Removes the excess nutrients. Also keep your lights off or severly reduce the amount of time the lights are on for a few days.
Basically, right now there's a war in your tank between algae and plants competing for nutrients. Think of algae as a weed on your lawn. It grows quickly and takes up the nutrients before the grass can get it causing the grass to die. Algae grows fast and will overtake your plants. What you want is for the plants to be the primary consumer of nutrients which ultimatley keeps the amount of algae down.
There are also algae killers that are plant and fish safe. Clouds the water but they do work if you're up for the use of chemicals.
Best of luck!

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Might give that a shot, I turn my lights on around 5am or so after work, and turn them off about 3pm before I leave for work again, don't have a timer on that tank yet, and very lightly planted, since it's African cichlids...

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store