Ray with its own barb in its mouth.

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
Just had a rather interesting half hour. Sitting watching tv when all of a sudden my 16" male BD starts freaking out and splashing round the tank. My instant thought was that one of the females had tagged him as he has been trying to breed recently.
Anyway I check and they both had the right number if stingers. I then noticed one of his had gone even though it was there only half an hour before during a water change (I check twice a day when rays are due to shed a barb do I can remove it to prevent this happening!).
I then noticed about a quarter of an inch of it sticking out his mouth, luckily at a sideways angle so I knew it would not have hit anything vital. Quickly I got a pan net and cut a hole in it. Caught the Ray and positioned him in the net so his mouth was over the hole. Luckily this ray is really docile when in a net, but I was still very careful as I did not know how he would react to the next stage.
I managed to grip the small amount if the barb that was showing and with a great deal of force managed to pull it out.
The ray stayed calm through out the whole episode. And is already feeding again.
Judging by the small amount of flesh and blood on the barb, it was buried about 1 inch into the ray's mouth.
Lucky escape. And a good technique for accessing a rays belly. I have used it before to remove fish lice from rays.
Sorry I didn't get a photo of the barb in the ray, but was more concerned on acting quickly to remove it. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1376255813.133189.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1376255826.836620.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Well done.. must stay calm to do it with out hurting you or the ray.. glad ray is ok now.
Q. Shouldn't you always pull the stinger through.in the direction it went it.. rather than pull it out the opposite way? (Due ro serrated stinger)

Similar thing happened.. to my old 13 inch indo.. got a stinger stuck sideways into his mouth.. I had to pull it through.. rather than pull it out .
The hard bit It worked well...stinger out... however whe I wemt to putchim back in tank.. the tiger fish jumped and fell 5 ft onto wooden floor!!!! Was fine in the end. Lol

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
I decided it would do more damage going through as there was none of the tip showing.
I've performed surgery on hundreds of koi including removing tumours and suturing the resulting trauma. This was by far the most stressful experience in fish care I have ever been involved in.
Cannot believe he is eating straight away!
Think it was worse for me than him!

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I decided it would do more damage going through as there was none of the tip showing.
I've performed surgery on hundreds of koi including removing tumours and suturing the resulting trauma. This was by far the most stressful experience in fish care I have ever been involved in.
Cannot believe he is eating straight away!
Think it was worse for me than him!

I see... makes sense then... no point pulling the whole lengtg of stinger through ... when u can just pull out a shorter length of it...

Uncanny... on friday... just gone.. I noticed a shed stinger. I used feeding tongs to pick it up.. as I did.. I dropped it back in tank.. the big Orino bass swallowed the stinger as it hit the water !!!
I panicked... it started choking... I got my net out ready to pull fish out and remove stinger from inside mouth by hand.. Just then it coughed out the stinger... so lucky it didnt pierce inside the mouth..
Fish is fine now.

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
You guys sound so calm about this all - if this was me i'd completely freak out and wouldn't know what to do.

I'm a nightmare if a ray gets a bit of net on their barb

Well done by the way lol

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
You guys sound so calm about this all - if this was me i'd completely freak out and wouldn't know what to do.

I'm a nightmare if a ray gets a bit of net on their barb

Well done by the way lol
Cant stand the net caught on stinger!!

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
Incredible. Great job removing the barb! I will keep that net trick in mind for when I eventually move up to a ray tank. Learn something new everyday lol
Luckily for me the only operation I ever had to perform on a ray or shark were on dead ones for my comparative vertabrate class!

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
Crazy dude, glad everything worked out! Such a random occurance and with a 1500 dollar fish that would have me freaking out! Nice job!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store