Wet dry vs. canister

try2catchmike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
California
I just got a 240g and it came with a wet/dry. I bought a bunch of random stuff from the media thread on here (pot scrubbers, scotch brite pads, matrix) and some sponges and the tank looks great. It didn't cost much at all. Look at making your own wet/dry or a sump. I was going to get the FX5 because I am not much of a DIY but the wet/dry really isnt that big of a project and its a LOT cheaper.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Wetdry all day, as long as you can manage to mechanically prefilter the water before it hits the bio media.

It's my understanding that you get a more diverse and robust bacterial colony in the oxygen rich wetdry filtration.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Wetdry all day, as long as you can manage to mechanically prefilter the water before it hits the bio media.

It's my understanding that you get a more diverse and robust bacterial colony in the oxygen rich wetdry filtration.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1, wet dry is way better than a canister in theory. As long as its designed right, the beneficial bacteria in the oxygen rich environment will do a much better job than the submerged bacteria in the canister.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Would a wet dry provide adequate mech filtration ?

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
As I see it, the advantages of a sump are:
1. easier to maintain/clean than canister
2. heaters, return lines, thermometer, are no longer in the tank with the fish.
3. lower cost.
4. more permanent/reliable plumbing of drain and return lines.
5. versatility--easier to add more pump capacity to a sump than a canister.

If you agree with those 5 advantages of a sump over a canister, then you need a sump. If you disagree with those, or you can come up with some advantages of a canister, then go with canisters.

As for a wet/dry, that means what--water flows over a plate with holes and falls through a bunch of bio balls or a flows through a foam filter? I've never had one, but it seems to me like it'd not be easier to clean than a canister. As for better bacterial filtration with a wet/dry.........I don't know about that, so I didn't put it in my list of advantages for a sump. But, with a wet/dry, I still see 4 more clear advantages of a sump over a canister.

I will say this, though. I think that a sump is a better fit for a large tank for two reasons. Getting equipment out of a tank is very important in a large tank because, presumably, it will house 12-14 inch fish that can and do break thermometers, pull on hoses, etc. And the cost of a sump is not much less than the cost of a canister on smaller tanks. Enough canister filtration for a 300-500 gallon tank is what--$500 or $1000? I think you could build a sump and plumb it for $500 or $600. But what's the cost of canister filtration on a 140 Gallon--$200? I don't know if I could do a sump for $200. It just seems like sumps are only cheaper as the tank size gets big. Cost is probably a wash for a 140 Gallon.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Lol anybody notice this thread is two years old?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Nope.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store