125 gallon stand with 4x4 posts...

fatmatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
ca
So originally i was going to make an aquaponics system but i decided to scrap that idea. I did however already build the grow bed with the design from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eOQOm5k_dE

now i am thinking i would just use it as a stand for the tank instead. would something liek this be able to hold up my 125 gallon? i know there will be some reinforcing the bottom legs together with 2x4s so it wont twist but would the plywood on top of the 4x4 posts hold up? this is my first time ever building anything so any input is appreciated. I would really like to use this wood that i already have as well since funds arent ever enough lol.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
it would work fine, but building a stand from 2x4s is cheaper, I would still put a vertical upright in the middle just to add a little. I would also put a base to it.

fatmatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
ca
it would work fine, but building a stand from 2x4s is cheaper, I would still put a vertical upright in the middle just to add a little. I would also put a base to it.
thanks for the advice.. i already built this so the wood is already there. would you just put a few vertical 2x4s in the middle that should be sufficient right? ill try to get some pictures up of the frame when i get home.

fatmatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
ca
image (4).jpegimage.jpegimage (1).jpegimage (2).jpegimage (3).jpeg

Here is some of the current construction.. the first picture with the tank was the grow bed that i disassembled and am going to make the stand out of... ill make another box frame to go around the bottom of the 4x4 posts and also cut the 4x4 posts down to about 2.5 feet. I don't want the tank too high. Ill add a couple 2x4s in the middle for extra support.. this is all wood i already have so it wont cost anything to convert it from growbed to stand.

Hopefully its sturdy enough to hold the 125... from what ive read it should but you never know... plus overbuilding is fun haha

ignore those two links at the bottom...

image (4).jpeg

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

Attachments

fatmatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
ca
image (2).jpegimage.jpegimage (1).jpeg

Here is an update.. I added the base and a vertical upright in the middle. Ill put in some cross beams for the base and i think that should be enough to hold 125 gallons... right??? right???

image (2).jpeg

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
add 2x4's in between the two bases in front of the vertical wood pieces, that way all the weight will be on wood and non on the screws and then your stand will have more than enough strength to hold the 125 gallon

fatmatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
ca
image (1).jpeg
So you mean attach them at those points all around the stand? That would make a total of 10 2x4 pieces then right since each corner has two sides to attach..

image (1).jpeg

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
Yeah thats is what I mean, I built a stand like that for my 300 gallon using only 2x4's. But since your using 4x4, you do not need two pieces on each corner, but itll look better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store