Advice for filtration on 125 tropheus tank

snakemanc5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2013
Roanoke, VA
Hello,
I am in the process of converting my drilled 125 from a reef, to house my colony of tropheus. This is my first drilled cichlid tank, as well as my first one over 55 gallons.

I have a 33 long that I am using as a sump, and will probably be using a MAG 9.5 return pump. For filtration, I'm leaning towards two of the DIY 5 gallon bucket wet drys. I will have each overflow going straight into it's own bucket.

I am really looking for advice on a couple of things.

1.I'm not absolutely sure what bio media will work best, as about 1/2 of the buckets will be submerged due to sump water level.

2. If the buckets don't provide enough bio filtration, could I rig up a vessel filled with matrix media inside,the sump and just use a power head to cycle water through the media?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Most of my experience is with reef tanks, so bio filtration has never been concern to me due to deep sand beds and lots of live rock. I definitely prefer to over-filter the tank. If its helpful I can provide pics of the sump or any equipment.

Thanks very much!

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
If it were me I would make the sump as simple as possible. Have the drain line dump into filter socks for mechanical and then then fill a mesh bag full of Matrix behind a baffle which would force the water going to your return pump through it. I would recommend going for a more efficient return pump too. Mag drives are terrible! Look into one of the new Waveline DC pumps, or a Water Blaster or Laguna Maxflo.

Bio filtration is the easy part really. Getting your mechanical filtration to make the water crispy clear is the tricky part!

snakemanc5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2013
Roanoke, VA
Good call on the pump. I looked at the Waveline and think ill go that route.

I still want to go heavier on bio filtration than just a bag of matrix, although ill probably use pond matrix on the submerged portions. For mech, im going to be using a few layers of various foam and mat at the top of the buckets. I feel like that will be sufficient for catching particulates.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
+1 for Laguna pumps, they've always served me well and are very efficient on power.

IME having foam sitting on top of the media with the water pouting onto it is very poor mechanical filtration, even with polishing pads (which clog fairly quickly) I found muck still accumulates in the bio media and in the bottom of the sump. For a set up like yours I'd go for a the simplest option, overflows drain into filter socks suspended in the sump, and for biological media you simply have submerged ceramic, glass or matrix-style media in bags sitting in the sump. I honestly think we go completely overboard with biological filtration on our sumps, when I see a set up like Aldiaz33's 770g which has a fair few fish with only 20L pond matrix and some matala matting, and <3x turn over IIRC.

One other thing to consider, I'm not sure of the dimensions of the tank and the sump, but make sure there is sufficient room in the sump to hold the water when the pump switches off! Maybe I'm wrong, but 33g seems a little small for a 125g, depending on the shape of each tank.

snakemanc5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2013
Roanoke, VA
Thanks David. The overflows will be using Durso standpipes that will be raised very high. Water level in the overflow chambers will be near the height of the tank level itself, mainly to reduce noise from the waterfall effect. Ill have to look up the tank youve mentioned and check his setup. My main goal is to be sure i have enough to handle a large bio load. Definitely want my prized Tropheus to have great water quality. :D

Coming from years of reef keeping, this is taking a lot more thought than id anticipated. That tank used to run 3 400watt metal halides, 200lbs of live rock, DSB, and huge EuroReef skimmer. Grew enough corals to practically make a living. Now i feel like a noob converting it over to cichlids, and knowing squat about filtration lol

snakemanc5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2013
Roanoke, VA
just thought of another question. If i used this 33 gallon sump (i do have access to another that higher capacity but only 40 inches wide, no baffles) i could hang a filter sock on each far end with the overflow drains going straight into them. If i placed the bags of pond matrix in the middle wouldn't i need to devise a way to ensure they get good flow through the media bags, or would they be just as efficient laying there submerged? The 33 sump is roughly 48x13x13, with no baffles.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'd say it would be more effective with it in a compartment ensuring there is good water flow through it, that is how I have mine, but there are many people who just it (or other media like ceramic rings) just sitting there in bags.

FW is a lot simpler that reef, but there are still plenty of differences to get your head around!

snakemanc5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2013
Roanoke, VA
I have some 16qt sterilite boxes that fit very well in the sump. How does this sound...

boxes stacked two high, with an overflow draining into the top of each stack. The top box filled with various pads to provide mech filtration, and then emptying into the bottom boxes (drilled similar to a drip plate) that are filled with submerged pond matrix. I could drill holes around the bottom edge of the matrix containers to ensure an even flow through the media.

Does that sound efficient and able to support a heavy bio load?

also, thanks very much for your time and advice. It's greatly appreciated.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
My sump has no baffles. I just have a tetra pond box attached to my laguna pumps and have my bio (rings and matrix) in bags sitting on top of the pond boxes. Got the idea from jc1119's build thread. I love it and it is 100% flawless. Just 3 filter socks to change when needed.

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Filter socks have a few advantages over pads that I have found.

One; there is no chance for water bypassing them (unless you dont change them quick enough and they clog). With pads the water can go down the sides of your container and then your bio media is going to get dirty.

Two; maintenance is easier. Pull out the dirty sock, put in a clean one. Done.

Three; They are reusable. Wash dirty ones out either with a hose or simply throw them in the washing machine and they are as good as new.

Four; Filter socks can be customized to your maintenance routine and the water clarity you're looking for. If you are relatively lazy then you could get away with changing your socks out once a week and use a 200micron which should get your water pretty clear. Want even clearer water? Go with a 100 micron or 50 micron, but you will have to change them out more often. I dont think pads will ever get your water as clear since they generally dont come in micron ratings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store