DIY 300 Gal Stand and Canopy

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
I know I posted this in the stingray section already but this is for everyone else who doesn't venture into the ray section. This is my DIY 300 gallon stand and canopy. Wood i used for stand was 2x4. In the canopy I used 1x2. The plywood was 1/4" and the trim of all the doors is soft 1x1. I learned how to do everything just by browsing the DIY section and watching some of Uarujoey's videos on youtube. If you have any questions just ask!

IMG_0450.JPGIMG_0452.JPGIMG_0562.JPGIMG_0561.JPGIMG_0563.JPGIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0591.JPGIMG_0599.JPGIMG_0612.JPGIMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Sweet! I like how it looks :) is that glass or acrylic tank? Will be there anything between plywood and tank? By the way - if this is acrylic, would that stand support glass tank too?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Looks good. The only thing I didn't see was the bracing for the acrylic and wether or not you put plywood sheeting underneath the tank. Other than that, should work just fine.

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
Looks good. The only thing I didn't see was the bracing for the acrylic and wether or not you put plywood sheeting underneath the tank. Other than that, should work just fine.
IMG_0451.JPG

Is this the brace you are talking about? Also in those pictures I didn't have a piece of plywood but when i wrapped the stand and canopy in plywood I also added a 1/4" piece between the tank and stand.

Nice job. Love the canopy. What lighting are you using?
I am just going to be using 2 lowes 4ft light fixtures

Sweet! I like how it looks :) is that glass or acrylic tank? Will be there anything between plywood and tank? By the way - if this is acrylic, would that stand support glass tank too?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The tank is acrylic. And I have a 1/4" piece of plywood between tank and stand. This stand will very well hold support a glass tanks. Theres a thread that is stickied in this forum about how much weight wood can hold. Just make sure that when you put in vertical supports, there is a vertical piece of wood between the two square frames and then another vertical piece that is the height of the stand. I believe its called king and jack studs.

IMG_0451.JPG

ReefDweller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Tennessee
That's a good looking tank. Hey just curious how tall did you make your stand? I'm building my stand now for my 280. Also if you have any pictures or diagram on how you did your canopy that would be great.

ReefDweller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Tennessee
Also, is that a flat black or semi gloss? I am going got paint mine black as well. 8.25 feet long by 3 feet wide. 4 doors total on the front.

benn371

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nice stand and love you canopy
Just one question how do you feed the fish do you have to take the entire canopy off or is there door in ?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
sorry, I just saw this. I was referencing the bracing on the top level of the stand to support the tank. I assume it is there. 1/4" is a little thin, but it could work depending on how many braces. I just worry that 1/4" would allow a love of flexing in between same said braces.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store