Anybody use pond filters like Ultima for Tanks?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

As I still wait for the floor to get done before purchasing eighter a 180 or 240 (Still looking through LFS for best price)
I have my mind set on a sump as I never want to go back to canisters like the Fx5 (no offense to canister lovers lol). How ever I heard members here using pond filters and came across a bunch of brands on thatpetsplace and they seem not too expensive. However here are some questions:

-If you use any pond filter as filtration post pics!
-How do you maintain a pond filter and issues?
-All you have to do is backflush to clean?
-Can a reef ready (overflows) tank be used with pond filters?

However if you prefer sump leave a reason. (I defintly thinking of sump for numerous reasons just wanted to hear yours as well)

Thanks

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I have a 14k gallon pond and many large tanks. Currently I HATE all pond filters. They don't really do *****! (unless you wana shell out a couple grand) I have gotten many pond filters and they don't do as good of a job as a diy 55 gallon drum. Packing a 55 gallon drum neck high does a 10 times better job than a pond filter...

I noticed in most not if all pond filters it relies on a very small amount of filter media. The pond filter media gets clogged easily and no matter how hard you try, you cannot get all of the debris out. But putting it in a fish tank might yield different results. The amount of filter capacity is a joke tho, for a fish tank it might be more suitable. You can clean them every couple months if its in a fish tank tho. In a pond its every other day... Skimmer box gets clogged very easily. You should take the pads out and rinse them in aquarium water every so often tho. And you could use overflows. Just stick the receiving end in the overflow box and output into the tank.

All in all I would recommend a sump, a pond filter could work just as efficiently but the cost for a pond filter is stupid high.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Looks like sump is winning so far.

I greatly appreciate your first hand experience on this topic. Will defiantly keep it in mind.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Not so fast.
All my tanks have pond type filters.
Check out member Albertan's 1000g build. Check out my pond builds in the pond forum.
And in the setup and filter forum checkout Hulon's Ultimate Filter thread but sounds like you already made up your mind.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
For a 180-240g tank I'd probably just go with a simple sump. But for something bigger like 500g+ I'd go for an Ultima type bead filter. Unfortunately I'd have to ship one over from the states so I went with a sump for my 2000L tank. Maybe next time...

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
hmm i will take a look ken, may all come down to price...but defintly will most likely try one with pond project

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store