Most efficient use of pond matrix in sump

snakemanc5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2013
Roanoke, VA
Hello,
pick am planning the sump setup for my 125 Tropheus tank and am leaning towards using pond matrix, rather than a wet/dry setup. My question is about the proper way to utilize the media? I've seen some mention of it being placed in bags and just submerged in the sump.

to me, it seems the media would need better flow THROUGH it to work well. Am I mistaken? I plan on using a large amount (once I figure out how much is a lot for a heavily stocked 125 lol). I'm sure I can rig up multiple ways to ensure flow through the media, but am really hoping to get some advice from people using it successfully with high bio loads.

thanks very much :)

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I have mine in a chamber with the water flowing directly through it here's a pic;

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
1) make sure to mechanically filter the water before it flows through the matrix
2) moderate flow should be adequate
3) gentle agitation of the media from time to time should remove any excess debris
4) do not let the media dry out as the BB will likely perish
5) I think it would work either in a wet/dry (as you mentioned) or submerged (as shown above)
6) matrix should be in a contained area or bag, not loose

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I had mine in a large media bag and then just threw it into my sump. Its a fullly open sump

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I put mine in laundry bags on top of pond boxes in my sump. Water is sucked through the boxes and the media sits on top.

I think the sump is on page 3 or 4 of the build in my sig.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store