Oh boy...

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
OK. My dumb friend who myself and other friends just helped setup an old 75 ga tank... went and bought a silver aro.

This is his first fish, and he barely knows how to maintain water quality... I would like some aro owners to say how hard this fish is to keep and that he will need a much larger tank pretty soon. Its really small right now, the smallest aro I have ever seen at about 3.5 inches.

Also would like to know if I am condemning this too hard, and if it would be fine in the 75 for a while. I want him to return it, it reminded me of the commercial for Kraft Mac and cheese where the dudes like naw your not ready for that fish haha

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Why not just share your knowledge and help him be a success?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Just wait till it gets drop eye and tell him off, then maybe he will learn about some thing called research before he gets a fish. I have friends exactly like who you are describing. If there like some of my friends there not going to listen to anything you say until they face check and run into a problem. It's his fish and he can do what he wants with his fish, it is a shame to see such a fish in the hands of such a bad owner but eh what can you do. He'll learn the hardway. If the fish is about 3.5 inches I estimate it will be good for over 6 months. It depends tho. My friend has gotten his jar the same time as me at 6 inches and mines a good 10-11 inches and his is still six inches.... and it has been about 3 months. His water quality is so poor... And even leaves a fh with no heater lmfao.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Why not just share your knowledge and help him be a success?
That's why I asked if I was condemning him too hard! I've never kept aro so I was going with what I've learned about them on here, that is what I'm going to do if he does plan on upgrading and actually dedicating a good amount of time to it, if not hopefully I can persuade him to return it

Just wait till it gets drop eye and tell him off, then maybe he will learn about some thing called research before he gets a fish. I have friends exactly like who you are describing. If there like some of my friends there not going to listen to anything you say until they face check and run into a problem. It's his fish and he can do what he wants with his fish, it is a shame to see such a fish in the hands of such a bad owner but eh what can you do. He'll learn the hardway. If the fish is about 3.5 inches I estimate it will be good for over 6 months. It depends tho. My friend has gotten his jar the same time as me at 6 inches and mines a good 10-11 inches and his is still six inches.... and it has been about 3 months. His water quality is so poor... And even leaves a fh with no heater lmfao.
He is kind of thick and doesn't take criticism very well, but he did listen to us about the amount of water changes and the general setup of his tank. He wanted to go w/ all cheap stuff, but we convinced him to go w/ fluval everything because its so much better. He's running an AC 70 and a fluval power head, w/ proper M series heater, appropriate fluval air pump so at least he didn't go with topfin haha.

I haven't lambasted him yet, that's why I'm on here trying to figure out a way to tell him he can keep it and that it will work. I'm going to be on his ass about water changes and general maintenance until I know he's doing enough to keep the aro happy. So I'll tell him he has about 4 months till he needs an upgrade, he seems to be enjoying keeping it so he may want to invest into it. About what should he be upgrading too? 125-200 gallons? He does want to keep other fish w/ it but I advised him against it for now until I got some input from experienced aro keepers. Btw he wants to keep bichirs and some kind of catfish w/ it.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
TBH I think you wasted his money getting him to buy good stuff for that 75g if he intends to keep the silver long-term....

Maybe just show him a few videos like this one of BDericks 450g to give him an idea of what he is in for; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwQTh0OTYI&feature=share&list=UUsusxyHkA8EGWNflLsHYoig
or take him to a public aquarium. Rather than trying to tell him everything, show him what he has bought and let him put 2 + 2 together.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
TBH I think you wasted his money getting him to buy good stuff for that 75g if he intends to keep the silver long-term....

Maybe just show him a few videos like this one of BDericks 450g to give him an idea of what he is in for; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwQTh0OTYI&feature=share&list=UUsusxyHkA8EGWNflLsHYoig
or take him to a public aquarium. Rather than trying to tell him everything, show him what he has bought and let him put 2 + 2 together.
When we setup the tank and stuff he never said anything about getting an aro he was talking about getting bichirs, the local aquarium only has this orange and red aro that I'm not sure the specie but it is damn beautiful. That video is exactly what I need to show him thank you.

So he wasted his own money, unless he plans on still using that after moving the aro if he even wants to upgrade for it

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
That's why I asked if I was condemning him too hard! I've never kept aro so I was going with what I've learned about them on here, that is what I'm going to do if he does plan on upgrading and actually dedicating a good amount of time to it, if not hopefully I can persuade him to return it

He is kind of thick and doesn't take criticism very well, but he did listen to us about the amount of water changes and the general setup of his tank. He wanted to go w/ all cheap stuff, but we convinced him to go w/ fluval everything because its so much better. He's running an AC 70 and a fluval power head, w/ proper M series heater, appropriate fluval air pump so at least he didn't go with topfin haha.

I haven't lambasted him yet, that's why I'm on here trying to figure out a way to tell him he can keep it and that it will work. I'm going to be on his ass about water changes and general maintenance until I know he's doing enough to keep the aro happy. So I'll tell him he has about 4 months till he needs an upgrade, he seems to be enjoying keeping it so he may want to invest into it. About what should he be upgrading too? 125-200 gallons? He does want to keep other fish w/ it but I advised him against it for now until I got some input from experienced aro keepers. Btw he wants to keep bichirs and some kind of catfish w/ it.

It should be fine in a 200 but if he is looking for the health of his fish he should get a 300+ gallon. This is why I dislike silvers. They need so much freakin room! But my friend is thick too, I tried to tell him but he blows me off. Maybe his fish will die and he will learn. Its tough looking at a fish having such a bad owner but it happens.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
yeah happens far too often. hopefully like I said if he is dissuaded by needing a multi hundred gallon tank then he can trade it in for a bichir that will be perfectly happy in the 75 for life. that's the outcome I hope of this situation. either that or if he does plan on upgrading then I will help him build that big of a tank and help take care of this thing.. I can't stand seeing a fish in a bad position especially if its a friend.. I'm going to try and help as much as I can, hopefully he will just want to trade for a bichir. if not then like I said ill help all I can to house this beast.

this is the 3rd friend of mine I helped setup a big tank and so far is the only one who actually got something that won't fit for life in it. he said he was going to look at the LFS bichir collection then sends me a pic of the damn aro in his tank.. he's at my work right now having a few beers I'm going to show him that video and what you guys have said about it so far

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
So, he said he's in for the long haul I guess.. after talking to him last night he does want to build a proper setup for him when the time comes, probably going to start getting it together in the winter. To keep it low on the gallon side he is only going to put one or 2 bichir in there with it. 200 ga. Minimum we are shooting for. He has a good spot in the basement for it so this worked out to my liking.

I just really hope he follows through with it, I feel more for these ancient fish like arowana and bichir then I do for cichlids ora anything else. They deserve more respect then we give them

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
An adult silver arowana in a 200g tank?:headshake

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store