Shiming the fish tank so its level.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
So hey everyone I have a little problem. I have to level a 6x2x2 1/2 fish tank and the fish tank is perfectly level on the left but the right needs to be moved up about 1/8th of a inch to be perfect. Thats easy enough but the whole back side of the fish tank needs to move up about a little more than 1/8th also. This is an older tank so I want it to be fully level to prevent leaks, cracks, bowing, broken braces/trim, and give peace of mind.

So the right side needs to go up a little more than 1/8th.

Here is a side view. The space from the bottom of the wall and the stand is about 3 inches. So how could I put the shims in? i could break them off and put sections in but the problem of hammering it in is a problem...

The tank has a hard floor as it supports the sump and gives structural integrity to the stand.

I can access the back as there are "windows" (regtangle holes) in between the supports.

Has anyone shimmed the back of the fish tank with little clearance? I guess I can cut them into smaller pieces and take the sections I need but how can you hammer them in? The tank dry is 700 pounds plus the stand and I cannot lift it as I'm currently doing this project by myself.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
I don't know you estimate a 180g tank to be that heavy. I have an 180g from the 80s with 1/2" glass and it is probably no more than 200.

Get a level and some card board.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
All I can advise is to get some friends to help lift the tank and stand. Never shim the tank itself. It must sit flat on it's base (stand). Always shim the stand. An acrylic tank can be slightly leveled by placing a thick layer of neoprene between the tank and stand. Since water seeks it's own level the tank will uniformly tilt a hair on the neoprene to try leveling itself out. This method does not work for framed glass or any glass tanks.

A 180 glass tank shouldn't be that tough to move. I've moved mine many times by myself, including up and down stairs. It's neither fun or easy but, it's not impossible either.

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
I don't know you estimate a 180g tank to be that heavy. I have an 180g from the 80s with 1/2" glass and it is probably no more than 200.

This...... Shimmed my 180 with cardboard. It was off just like yours. You could also use wooden shims from the hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
Sorry the app crashed on me. I used a large pry bar under my stand to lift it up to slide the cardboard under the stand. I did everything myself as I had no help either. Just make sure you get the pry bar under the stand far enough so you don't damage the finish. I used this method with an empty tank on the stand.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I use pry bars of various sizes to help raise heavy things by myself. Thsi dose no make it an easy task but does make it possible. Some dimensional lumber such as a short section of 2x4 can be used as a fulcrum base to get more height. Use good safety practice when placing shims when holding up a heavy object with a pry bar as sudden slips can put fingers in danger.

Good luck

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us

Its a 220 and weighs 450 pounds plus not a 180gallon. dimensions are 72x24x30. stand is about 250 pounds itself. Solid thick oak.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
All I can advise is to get some friends to help lift the tank and stand. Never shim the tank itself. It must sit flat on it's base (stand). Always shim the stand. An acrylic tank can be slightly leveled by placing a thick layer of neoprene between the tank and stand. Since water seeks it's own level the tank will uniformly tilt a hair on the neoprene to try leveling itself out. This method does not work for framed glass or any glass tanks.

A 180 glass tank shouldn't be that tough to move. I've moved mine many times by myself, including up and down stairs. It's neither fun or easy but, it's not impossible either.
Its a glass 220. I am shimming the stand, it on carpet so shimming with the tank on the stand is doable. But it is about 450 pounds plus. I moved the 250 pound stand in place myself but I cannot move the tank myself...

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Sorry the app crashed on me. I used a large pry bar under my stand to lift it up to slide the cardboard under the stand. I did everything myself as I had no help either. Just make sure you get the pry bar under the stand far enough so you don't damage the finish. I used this method with an empty tank on the stand.

Thanks!!! Exactly what I needed! I picked up 58 shimes this morning and i have tons of pry bars at home.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Hello; I use pry bars of various sizes to help raise heavy things by myself. Thsi dose no make it an easy task but does make it possible. Some dimensional lumber such as a short section of 2x4 can be used as a fulcrum base to get more height. Use good safety practice when placing shims when holding up a heavy object with a pry bar as sudden slips can put fingers in danger.

Good luck
Oh man I have had my fingers closed completely in car doors and even in a car trunk haha. I'll be sure to watch my fingers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store