Texas river fish

Longshot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Central Texas
[YT]pCT4JldALjk[/YT]

Got some good shots last time I was diving. Even got video of a few good sized fish...and a turtle at the end. Enjoy!

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
that's awesome you took video on that. im a little confused what is the rushing water that's almost like waves in the video. is that like rapid I never knew those fish lived in that kind of water with that flow

Longshot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Central Texas
Very cool vid. That's some serious flow there huh?
Thanks, unfortunately it is only a fraction of what it should be. We are under a very severe drought that has the water flow less than half of what it is supposed to be.

Baseball, that is what waterfalls look like from underneath :)

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Thats a waterfall? I almost asked the same question. And to think there are people concerned with too much flow in their tanks... That vid makes me want to dive into a a new hobby, too bad visibility in SC waters around here is about a foot

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
Thanks, unfortunately it is only a fraction of what it should be. We are under a very severe drought that has the water flow less than half of what it is supposed to be.

Baseball, that is what waterfalls look like from underneath :)
i had a feeling that it was a waterfall but i was tempted to say it haha

Thats a waterfall? I almost asked the same question. And to think there are people concerned with too much flow in their tanks... That vid makes me want to dive into a a new hobby, too bad visibility in SC waters around here is about a foot
yea that's crazy flow, doesn't even seem like a place where the fish we know of would be able to live in

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Awesome video !! Is it always that clear?? I really like to see the interaction between the cichlids and the sunfish. Great work !!

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Yeah, that video was awesome. That's a perspective you rarely get to see, as it's not flashy enough for most nature shows.

That turtle was hilarious. Looked at you for a couple of seconds and was like, "Nah."

Longshot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Central Texas
I've seen pics and video of clear water come from SC. Don't know where they were taken but I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find something.

i had a feeling that it was a waterfall but i was tempted to say it haha

yea that's crazy flow, doesn't even seem like a place where the fish we know of would be able to live in
I think there is a misunderstanding on what the fish prefer. Almost always the centrachids prefer a high/low flow interfaces to solid flow or zero flow. The tricky part in aquariums is having a safe balance because water doesn't actually go anywhere but around.

If you watch, somewhere in the middle you see some bright green fins, those were mine. I had been crawling along the bottom where there is virtually no flow but I poked my head up a little too far and started to get pulled underneath the waterfall. Didn't seem to bother the fish any. They take great advantage of this difference in water velocity.

Awesome video !! Is it always that clear?? I really like to see the interaction between the cichlids and the sunfish. Great work !!
That part is usually a tad clearer. That water is only a few hours old after coming out of our aquifer but there was some work being done that day. I have other vids that show a little bit better water clarity. I actually built my own camera mount so that I could set it down and swim away like you saw in the video. You can get genuine fish interaction if you, the big potential predator, swims to a "safe" distance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store