Why doesn't my protein skimmer produce micro bubbles?

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
I have my protein skimmer in the back of my overflow, and it doesn't foam.
It creates a funnel.
It made micro bubbles and foamed before, I've only seen it done for a day though.
I have my over flow filled up all the way to the top, and the pump is on the bottom.

The protein skimmer I have is similar to this model.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-80-Gal-A...860847814?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item56590772c6

Except the tubing is different, and I have a magnum pump on it. And It has a Air line tube on the side, but it doesn't connect to anything, so I don't know what it is for. The protein skimmer isn't that model though. The one I have, I don't see a brand name on it.

How do I get my protein skimmer to start foaming, so it can actually do what it's supposed to ?

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
the airline should go to the intake side of the pump so it can suck air through the impeller creating bubbles. Sometimes it can go right where the outlet is also to suck air as the water jets into the skimmer. You should have some valve to control the flow to adjust the level of the bubbles.
there's no where on the pump that allows me to connect the tube to it. o.o

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here is a pic of a venturi, airline tubing is attached to a port

Many power heads have the port built in, but you need to attach a hose (airline tube) in order to produce bubbles for fractionation.

schulace123

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
MINNESOTA
hmmm.... weird you should not have to modify anything as far as drilling holes etc goes...it should come all done for you unless it was used or something and someone included the wrong pumps. If it is a seaclone brand skimmer I would recommend getting a different one, The first skimmer I ever used was a seaclone and it got a cup a skimate in like 3 weeks. Some pictures would help.

Kinda a dumb question here but do you have any livestock in the tank? (including live rock), a skimmer wont skim with nothing to skim.

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
hmmm.... weird you should not have to modify anything as far as drilling holes etc goes...it should come all done for you unless it was used or something and someone included the wrong pumps. If it is a seaclone brand skimmer I would recommend getting a different one, The first skimmer I ever used was a seaclone and it got a cup a skimate in like 3 weeks. Some pictures would help.

Kinda a dumb question here but do you have any livestock in the tank? (including live rock), a skimmer wont skim with nothing to skim.
Yes, I have about 8 fish, 20+ Lbs of Live rock. and 1.5 inches of Crushed coral.
Mine produced micro bubbles before, but I don't know how. And It was trapping some gunk with the bubbles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store