Frontosa tank?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
In my vast search for my next pet for my 200 gallon tank I look back to the frontosa, (I've been thinking lizards, turtles, tortoise, and fish) I kinda want a show tank with a larger fish or fishes that are calm are frontosa a good choice? How many can I do in a 200? And suggestions on set up? It's a 200 gallon with a 40 gallon wet dry filter 10x turn over rate empty and ready for new project

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lunglover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2013
Nor Cal
A breeding colony of frontosa would be awesome. Never had any expierence with the fish myself but I'm sure someone will jump in to help you.

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Yep, fronts are African

Sent from my SCH-M828C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
You can do quite a few in a 200gal. You can easily do a good sized colony, I have a 150gal and I have 12 of them (though mine is at its limit). You can probably do a nice breeding colony of 12-14 if you wanted. Sand for substrate is nice they like to move it around. I personally use quartz, easy to wash, doesn't float and looks nice. Get some nice rock work going with some caves or areas to hide in and if that is do plain you can try to add plants (though they will probably get dug up). They are laid back in the sense that they typically don't go around beating each-other up and causing problems. They fin nip. They can also be skiddish (mine swim super fast and hit the lid sometimes if I walk by the tank really close and fast). They are pretty hardy too. They get a decent size and I think they are cool looking for a nice show tank. Nice hard water for them, good food (I feel NLS sinking pellets and frozen krill) and regular water changes - they should thrive.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I do. I don't keep anything to fancy ;) Just some Kigoma

I recommend that you buy from a local breeder if you can or try to find a reputable breeder off aquabid. Ask around I am sure you can find one. It is cheaper if you buy them as fry (get twice as much as you plan to keep) and weed out your males/females for a good ratio and you can make money selling off the rest. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

If you have nice lighting it can bring out the colors of the fish also..

Female
DSC_0013.JPG

Male
DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

Tank shot (I am hoping to eventually add more rocks/background etc.)
IMG_0071.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Now if I went the frontosa route do you buy like 20 and when they get bigger remove most of the males? Do I have to set up a ratio of male to female or do they just creat a alpha male and all the rest back down from him?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store