Dovii injury, PLEASE HELP!!

Captain F Bomb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2011
IOWA
I've had this dovii for about 3 years now, ever since he was a fry, and two days ago I was cleaning the tank and he suddenly freaked out, like FREAKED THE HELL OUT! In the process, he tore open his side and now there's about an inch and a half gash on his side and his scales are all raised on that area. It looks like when you scale a fish and then there's a big gash in it. Well, now the area looks all raised and red and he won't eat and all he does now, is hide when I walk up to the tank. That same day he was injured I gave him Melafix, that's what the guy at my lfs told me to put in the tank, but it seems like its getting more red. So I'm turning to the pros at MFK's please help I don't wanna lose this guy, it's my prize fish that I've raised since a fry and now he's 16 inches. It'd be stupid to lose him now. Sorry for the life story, but please please help MFK's.

Thank You.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Melafix is good for open sores but if its not healing it could be infected slightly causing the redness , try some aquarium salt in a treatment tank along with melafix , plenty of water changes and oxygen, oxygen is important whilst using melafix , good luck with your beast hope it heals ok , my jags had big wounds in past that have cleared up over time

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
up the temp slightly it'll help speed the healing process , id do at least 20/30% wc twice a week while treating to help with added stress from poor water conditions and to minimise infections

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Try not to go crazy with the feeding just what he needs to keep strong , he'll prob not use much energy in a smaller treatment tank on his own anyway

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store