!!!!!!!!!! Eheim Canister Filter !!!!!!!!!!!

Damnwell_D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hello ^-^

So I currently have a 60 gallon tank with a 14 inch Common Pleco (Clem) and a 3 inch Albino Pleco (Early). I had a Eheim Ecco 2234. I loved it at first although I was not impressed with the flow rate. 6 months in the intake hose got clogged, I cleaned out the entire system re-attached everything and well accidentally broke the top of it. So temporarily I have been running a large over the top Aqueon filter with a modification on it, which of course is only temporary. In time I will be upgrading my tank to a larger one.

I have however read countless reviews on Eheim, Fluval, SunSun, Red Sea, Marineland, and more. I would like some feedback on the MOST RELIABLE and fair costing next route.

I am pretty much sold on Eheim as they are fairly superior in the canister realm from what I have read and I enjoyed mine for the time being but I just went with a cheap quick deal.

Right now I really really want the Eheim 2262, yes I know it is overkill for my current tank. I feel as though it will be more than perfect there, and having a higher filtration system will only help with the growth of my fish. The only thing that throws me off about the 2262 is the media and filters. I saw this video online of a girl who put cheap little scrubbers in there instead of the expensive filters. It's a much larger filter than I'm used to seeing and it doesn't come with media and such so it's just something a little new for me. Another turn on with the 2262 is the incredible Pump output. I would like my next canister to have a very strong output and the least known issues with clogging.

I am open to other options, obviously I would like to spend less but I do not want to short cut in reliability as I live in an apartment. Leaking is something that is unacceptable for me and I hadn't had an issue with mine and have only heard of rare cases of Eheim's having that problem.

:headbang2Input from experienced fish handlers will be greatly appreciated. :naughty:

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
a 2217 would've been better than the Ecco. it's the next best size before a 2262. you're just using a filter that's underrated for 60Gs.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I love the Eheim 2260/62 filters. It is a large filter and does take a lot of media. I use 5L of the Eheim Ehfi Mech in the bottom of the filter and then cut my own sponge filter pads from 10PPI and 20 PPI Poret foam and finally a media bag of Pond Matrix or Eheim Substrat Pro.

It is probably over sized for your 60G tank but the large plecos do produce a lot of waste. You can use the search function for Eheim 2260 filters and see how various members set them up for their particular tanks.

Make sure that you get the Double tap valves or Quick Disconnect valves if you decide to buy the filter. They make servicing the filter very easy.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
double taps are great to reduce flow also. cant say enough good things about eheim after i finally broke down and bought a pair of 2217s this spring

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
I had a Eheim Ecco 2234. I loved it at first although I was not impressed with the flow rate. 6 months in the intake hose got clogged, I cleaned out the entire system re-attached everything and well accidentally broke the top of it.
Maybe the filter needs to be cleaned more than once every 6 months. Many folks do a monthly maintenance (or at least every 2 months) on their canister filters. Maybe cleaning of the canister filter once every 6 months is more an an issue with the "human" than it is with the filter.;)

Damnwell_D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I probably should clean it out more often, but I did clean it 3 months before I noticed it was clogged.

Thanks for the 2217 suggestion, I think I'm going to go with that one actually.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I have Eheim Pro II canisters and only clean every six months. clogging was never an issue for me. The Eheim Eco is more of a beginner canister. I read numerous reviews about this model clogging. I only have experience with Rena XP and Eheim Pro. Both are great filters but Eheim looks better but not worth the extra price for some. My Eheims been running for 4 years now without any issue. Hopefully Eheim enthusiast HarleyK will reply to this post. The man knows a lot about Eheims.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store