Going salt actually coral reef...need a little help

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Ive always been the cichlid type but feel I need something new so why not a reef tank...its not setup yet but I have 30 gallon 36" long tank with an odyessa t5ho and an emperor280 filter and a fluval heater...thats all I have right now...I know I will need live sand and live rock and also a protein skimmer...once I get those where do I go from there?? All help and advice is greatly appreciated

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
You won't need the filter. The live rock/sand and the skimmer will take care of your filtration needs. If you plan on doing a reef you will need to invest in a RO/DI unit and TDS meter(total dissolved solids meter). The RO/DI unit will filter your tap water removing all impurities and the TDS meter is used to make sure your RO/DI unit is running properly. Without a RO/DI unit you will most likely run in to a lot of algae issues.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
But as far as algae isnt there some inverts and other things I can buy?? It will have a little more than just coral...damsels for a few months and after I get the coral filled and running successful I plan on adding a mandarin goby either green or red...

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
In the salt world they're called a "clean up crew" or CUC. Also, a mandarin goby requires an incredibly well established tank loaded with pods. That's all most will eat. Even if you see them eat pellets or something else in store, the stress of moving to a new tank can shock them back into eating pods exclusively.

I also would NOT get damsels. They are the smallest but meanest SOBs in the salt world, and I've seen a 1" damsel beat up a 3" blue tang. Don't cycle a tank with damsels either. That's just mean to the fish.

Be ready to let the tank sit up to 6 weeks to properly cycle, unless you get a cycle helper like Dr. Tim's, but even that takes time.

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
Also, an Oddysea t5 unit is a big risk. They are the cheapest models on the market, and have caused several house fires. Google it, they are very real.

But besides that, depending on the type of coral you want you may need stronger lighting anyways. Also, that will determine how much flow you need in the tank. Soft corals need 20-30x tank volume turnover. Hard corals and SPS (small-polyp stony) need upwards of 50x tank turnover.

We need to know a little more in order to make sure you get set up properly.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Today a bought some live sand and a new blue bulb for my odyessa...I will look into the house fire thing I really appreciate the heads up on that...a friend of mine is giving me his old protein skimmer later this evening I will post it here to see if its the right one...thats all I have as of right now the tank isnt even up and running yet so there is not much more I can tell you...I will have all the patience in the world when it comes to this coral tank...next weekend im buying live rock and saltwater and s try and start the tank up...any suggestions on what to get???

uploadfromtaptalk1376872116398.jpg

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
As far as coral comes I have no idea what I want except I think thwy are called zonas or polyps

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I will trade your light for a 50/50 bulb or a 10,000k bulb (might be labeled coral day bulb or something similar). Actinic bulbs aren't the greatest for growing coral.

There are many diffrent types of zoas and many diffrent corals have polyps. Just look around until you see what you like. Check out diffrent stores selections some stores and individuals think some coral is worth more then they are.

For rocks I will check out local reef sites. People sell them pretty cheap or put a want to buy ad up. You will get more established rock at a cheaper price. Many times coral will be on the rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store