Arowana ID

cellowithgills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oregon
I just picked up this guy from somebody that was selling a deceased loved ones tanks. Apparently, it's been in a 90 gallon tank it's whole life. What's crazy is that this fish is 15-20 years old. I was told before I went to pick it up that it was about 16" long. Turns out that it's pushing 20". I have a 135 gallon so that's not going to work out for long, but don't worry, I have a friend that I'm sure will put it in his 8'x4'x16" tank. Anyways, I'm thinking it's a Jardini but I figured I'd leave a positive ID to the experts.

Here it is in the 90.

These are it in my 135 with my 13" Oscars.

Tanks blurry because I had to top off the sump after acclimating it and stirred some crap around.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Looks like a jar to me hard to tell pattern from the pics though , nice find by btw , mines about 20" now and he's six yr old , have you had any aggression towards the Oscars from him ?

cellowithgills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oregon
Not yet, only been in the tank for 2 hours though. And it was a 2.5 hour drive in a 30 gallon tote so he is fairly stressed. My Oscars won't leave him alone, they laid eggs mid week and are a bit bossy since I took them away. Lights are of and everything has calmed down now.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cellowithgills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oregon
Can you give me an example what what type of picture you would need to give a positive ID? I'll try to get a good pic tomorrow.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Has it got pink spangles (spots) on tail and gill plates ? If so its a jardini , they are mostly very aggressive fish mines killed loads of tankmates over the years he's evil so be warned once he settles in your Oscars mite be in trouble , lots of people have placid ones on mfk's but yours has had his own tank for a while now and mite decide he wants the same again once settled

cellowithgills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oregon
Looking really closely I can see slightly fleshy color spots. I expect poor diet over the years hasn't really helped his color much.

On another note. He got the crap kicked out of him by my Os. He's hiding in the top left side of the tank. The plan at this point is to do a big wc, what decor I have, and hope the O's calm down for now.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
It'll prob be coz there a breeding pair , hopefully they'll calm down with a bit of time try keep the lights off as much as poss for now , make sure there's plenty of top flow on your tank and he'll be ok there hard as nails jardini's mines been close to death a few times , oh yer and be warned they do jump when stressed and do smash hoods open on tanks mines been on floor a few times , last time I was very lucky :D

cellowithgills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oregon
My hood weight a ton, the hinge is farther back so you have to lift almost the whole thing to open it. Definitely not worried there. Thanks for all the info.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
No probs good luck with your jar , update the thread when they all settled down if you can :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store