Pearls, slow growers?

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
sorry if this has been brought up before guys, I really tried to search before starting possibly another retarded thread..

so, I have 2 pearls ( https://www.google.se/search?q=pota...dvancedaquarist.com%2F2013%2F4%2Ffish;807;605) thats daddy :D and the male is like 8 inch disc were's the female is probably 10".. this doesn't sound like much but she's atleast double his weight.. nothing wrong with that but as my 475g is coming together I'd really like to know if I'm doing something wrong with him or if someone else has experienced the same thing?

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
really.. no one?

is my question really that stupid or don't you guys keep pearls? haha..

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Males tend to grow much slower in all species as well as stay smaller. I used to have a sibling pair of motoros, both grew quick, but the female was nearly double his size at a couple years old. Pretty normal in my experience. As long as he looks fat and the water is clean you should be fine!

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
Allright.. thank you very much guys.. I've wanted pearls for like 6 years and finally got hold of a pair a year ago and i've seen motoros and leos outgrow them ever since.. atleast the male..

Got them at 4/5" last august and now they are at 7/8,5".. since there arent that many pearlkeepers over here I just had to ask since the male looked so puny.. I've also noticed that pearls fee d in a different manor from leos or motoros and are somewhat pickier.. they go for an all in attack for every bite whereas motoros and leos just lay on the food and suck it in.. anyone else regognize this?

Is there a thread for pearls? The search function wasn't very helpful..

These are not my first rays or anything i'm just pretty much alone were I'm at at raising pearls.. there are a couple of adult specimens and a couple of this years pups.. therefore all info on traits that may be specific to pearls are appreciated..

Thanks guys..

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
Oh and they didn't shrink since my first post, i corrected my estimation.. haha..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store