P. falkneri...anyone?

Stuginski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Brazil
Someone with falkneri experience? I really want to know the max size of males, best temperature, minimum tank size and other tips related to this beautiful fish!

Thanks in advance

D.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
They get larger females 40" plus males 30" .
I sold mine because it grew from 6" to 14" in less than a year. Growth rate like that tells me this thing was on the path to being huge. They are a very easy ray to keep they are the exact same species as castexti just with allot nice patterns. I've seen some pretty big bruiser castexti on here and not until recently did they rename these rays all to falkneri.
So in essence people who owned a castexti there ray is now called a falkneri . One in the hobby could call them falkneri var.castexti or falkneri var. otorongo maybe even falkneri var. jaguar. But who draws the line with what is the original falkneri rays ?

For years in the hobby we knew them as this type before castexti were renamed. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1377092269.723308.jpg
This guys name is zippy the male falkneri

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

digginrays

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
lake norman
I could have sworn that the falkneri's that below water got in were from a certain river in argentina and were the only river system to have falkneri's.i could be mistaken.the pair I bought from him are around 14"m and 16"female and she is expecting her first litter. I wish my male looked as nice as zippy! he's a beautiful ray!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Lol, I think the same about a hybrid I have, it went from pup to 16" in a year, I guess time will tell, seems like she has slowed down a little now. But she is always a huge eating machine.

They definitely fit into the castexi family, I have a jaguar right now and she is 2.5 years old at 13 inches, but other castexi I know are 24inches at that age.

I sold mine because it grew from 6" to 14" in less than a year. Growth rate like that tells me this thing was on the path to being huge.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
I could have sworn that the falkneri's that below water got in were from a certain river in argentina and were the only river system to have falkneri's.i could be mistaken.the pair I bought from him are around 14"m and 16"female and she is expecting her first litter. I wish my male looked as nice as zippy! he's a beautiful ray!
rio Paraguay ,falkneri live in many country's .
These ones might be from Argentina in the Paraguay River ?

Stuginski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Brazil
Nice rays, Calgary! Congrats!

It seems that they can attain huge sizes! There are some "teacups falks" in a Lfs here and I was very interested if they will outgrow my tank, now I'm pretty sure that they will (I will have to go with a hystrix). There aren't many informations about falks in the web, at least much less than other rays.

Thank you guys

D.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Nice rays, Calgary! Congrats!

It seems that they can attain huge sizes! There are some "teacups falks" in a Lfs here and I was very interested if they will outgrow my tank, now I'm pretty sure that they will (I will have to go with a hystrix). There aren't many informations about falks in the web, at least much less than other rays.

Thank you guys

D.
Those teacup falks will not look like the nicely patterned Paraguay River ones. Those ones are yellow from very small size and easily distinguished .

Stuginski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Brazil
Hey Calgary...these "teacups" came from Paraná river. Mato Grosso state. If I go to the Lfs this weekend I will take a picture!

D.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store