Africans and SA/CA cichlids

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
I know that Africans and SA/CA are not supposed to mix but I just want one has anybody done this and not had any problems?

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
When I set up my 550L SA / oddball tank I had to decomission some of my smaller tanks.
I had a pair of clavus in a smaller tank which I put in there on the basis that "I would take them to the lfs on the weekend"
Finally took them out, a year or so later.
They were happy and in fact they bred a few times.

I would normally not suggest someone try this, but in my case, it did work.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I mix old and new world all the time.
I find if they have very different body types they mix especially well, and the Africans can act as dither/target fish.
I always try to keep feeding types together though, example, vegetarians with vegetarians, and carnivores with carnivores etc so I don't run into feeding stress diseases.
And also only combine fish that prefer similar water chemistry, the rift lakes of Africa and the great lakes of Nicaragua are similar, as are Central American rivers.

I would not however, mix African rift lake species with Amazonian soft water species.

Jake_Df

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Austin, TX
yeah i knnw this question gets asked every day. i want to start up a african tank but i would also love a jack dempsey. i know the answer is prob no way but its something ill just have to try for myself. 50/50 chance i guess.

also does anybody have any design pics or ideas for an african malawi tank. im starting from scratch and ive never kept africans

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
JDs can handle the same water as Malawians.
And the different color may help, although the blue in JDs may create a dominance rivalry issue with any blue Malawians.
They both (if you choose rock dwelling Malawians as opposed to open water species) appreciate rocky, craggy environments in nature.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm not a fan of mixing fish from different areas Africans (mbuna) and New world being my least liked mix of fish possible. It always looks ridiculous to me, weather its working or not.

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
Not a real good idea. It might work for a period of time and then one day you come home to disaster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store