adding a xb to my hbrtg tank ... is this a good idea ?

godfreylang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philippines
guys, i plan to add a 10 inch xb to my comm tank housing a 16 inch hbrtg, one it datnoid, 4 clownloaches ...
my current tank is an 8 x 2.5 x 2.5 feet tank ....
heard that 3 aros will be better than 2 aros in 1 tank ... if this is the case, i am planning to get another rtg to make it 3 aros in one tank ...
my other idea is to get another tank to house my hbrtg and put the xb in my current comm tank ... however, i am thinking that 2 aros or 3 aros in one tank is a swell idea and will be more amazing to look at :) so if i can make this work, i would prefer this ... any thoughts on this guys ? thanks !

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I like the second idea better, multiple arowana in one tank often leads to torn fins and missing scales. I'd rather have a perfect single specimen than three with torn up fins.

The problem with combining arowana is that with two you don't really have a pecking order, in most cases you end up with a dominant fish picking on the submissive fish. With three you have another fish to take some of the heat, and with four you get the aggression spread over even more fish. So yes three is certainly better than two, but five is better again. If you want to make a comm you're better off starting out with juvi fish all of the same size rather than trying to mix them as adults.

godfreylang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philippines
ah ok david, thanks for the advice. you have explained very well why two aros is riskier than three, i now understand why 2 aros are not really recommended to be mixed together in a tank.
Hearing this, I am now more inclined to just get another tank to keep one aro in ...

tks a lot for the clear explanation ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store