African cichlid tank mates

Kaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2006
ohio
So i'm considering some african cichlids for my 55 gallon tank. I've never done africans, so i'm not real sure what will get along with them. I have a hujeta gar and some small cats. Anyone know how the African cichlids would get along with them?

Kwall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Rockland, Maine
African cichlids don't even like to get along with themselves haha. But on the other hand I have 6 Africans all different types a Chinese algae eater and two clown loaches together and there's minimal aggression. They all get along very well

Sent from my XT901 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
I've kept a school of tiger barbs with my africans to act as dithers. They didnt bother them once however a buddy of mine tried to add tiger barbs and they all got killed. Up to the fish. Personally I would go with either giant danios or tiger barbs. I went with tiger barbs cause I like the hierarchy they form within their shoal lol. Also, like vinboy said, synodontis would be a perfect addition since they are from the same region. Some are really nice looking if you look around. Make sure whatever you get is fast and not small enough to be eaten/killed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store