Dats to pellet food

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
So I have three small dats in a 10g by themselves. Two are ngt and the other is a common one (forget which). At this point they are eating frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. I have switched many fish over in the past but these are a little different for me. They never come out of hiding. The frozen food seems to disappear and they are still breathing so they are obviously eating eventually. I really want them on floating pellets. Is this feasible for three fish that always hide or should I just use sinking? Also do you guys use trainer fish with dats? If so what small ones seem to work!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Haha welcome to datnoid keeping. Dats are one of the hardest fish to get on to pellets, let alone floating ones. You definitely want to get them on sinking first. You can go one of two ways. 1st way is to starve them until they cave in and eat pellets. This sometimes works sometimes doesn't. The most effective way i've found is to get them eating raw shrimp. Once they start eating it and get nice and fat, start stuffing pellets into the shrimp. Slowly starting putting less shrimp and more pellet and 8 out of 10 times, they'll start to eat just pellets.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Haha welcome to datnoid keeping. Dats are one of the hardest fish to get on to pellets, let alone floating ones. You definitely want to get them on sinking first. You can go one of two ways. 1st way is to starve them until they cave in and eat pellets. This sometimes works sometimes doesn't. The most effective way i've found is to get them eating raw shrimp. Once they start eating it and get nice and fat, start stuffing pellets into the shrimp. Slowly starting putting less shrimp and more pellet and 8 out of 10 times, they'll start to eat just pellets.

This is good advice. .

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
oh this is going to be fun. The pieces of shrimp I am using right now aren't even stuffable! Nor am I sure they are even eating them yet.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
oh this is going to be fun. The pieces of shrimp I am using right now aren't even stuffable! Nor am I sure they are even eating them yet.
Lol. I used the small small nls pellets for babies. At least I know they're eating them. Once they grow a bit you can upgrade the shrimp and pellet size

L600

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
MI
strollo's technique is the same that I used for my dats. except I use sinking hikari gold instead of NLS. dats seem to like sinking better than floating. also FYI NGTs hate other NGTs, so I be careful about your two NGT getting into a fight with each other.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Thanks guys. I have heard that about the ngt. Hoping the other dat helps spread the aggression. So far so good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store