what color sand WHY please add photos

Whisenhunt88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2013
ohio
So I'm stuck on what color sand to buy I'm upgrading to a 240 gallon and don't know if I should go with the traditional brown sand or should try black or bright white

Please help and show me pictures of your tanks

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
what are your intentions for the tank maybe that can be a great starting point as to which color or scheme you should take

mr.reef24

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
black sand is going to make the fish's color look brighter just due to the contrast...especially if you're doing bright colored fish...like a H. Tusk

flowerhorn81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Maryland/DC
This thread has help me make my decision on my next set-up. I tried using play sand before but it took so much work to rinse before placing in the tank. I might go with black sand for my dovii setup.

ScreamingDingo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
SW VA/ NE TN
This thread has help me make my decision on my next set-up. I tried using play sand before but it took so much work to rinse before placing in the tank. I might go with black sand for my dovii setup.
I just picked up a few bags of black Estes Ceramaquartz. Not the easiest to find, but it was about as fast as gravel to prepare. It cost a little more than box store sand at $20/50 lbs, though.

I rinsed it in 8-10 pound increments in a bucket. Took maybe 5 minutes per bucket to rinse, and I replaced an existing setup's gravel with it. Fish were in the tank and had for all practical purposes zero clouding.

I researched the "pillowcase" rinsing and a whole array of other methods, but ended up needing none of them. The stuff just was not very dusty. It stays on the bottom, too- sinks fast.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
honestly I think it is more what fish you select and your likes this is your tank not mine but I'll say I have seen nice displays of colored sands just make sure the sand if you get one that is colored is safe and won't leech any dangerous chemicals in the tank or add nutrients that could spawn algae growths but black is nice but will darken the tank in my opinion when you look at your tank you really want it to draw your eye so think of the room its in the colors the lighting the fish etc... then maybe you can find a color that will blend in well and won't take your eye from the fish to the sand like what was this person thinking but have fun and please share photos of the project as you do it :)

mr.reef24

allenjj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Albany, NY
Its really a personal preference, however I really like the tan sand. I use a fine grain so that my creatures can easily burrow and have a number of conchs to help keep the sand bed clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store