My first Arowana need some advice

lando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
fort st john bc canada
So I'm very exited to be getting my first Arowana next week. I'm lucky enough to be getting a HBRTG.
I want to have this fish for a very long time and wanted to get it to its full potential. I just wanted to know a few tips. I know diet is a big part. And so is lighting just wondering what the pros have to say! He will be going in my 140g with my 5"jag 3.5"red terror 3.5" yellow African. This is my tank running an FX5 for filtration and adding a aqua clear 70powerhead aswell. Anything anyone has to say I'd like to hear it! Knowledge is power!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
what is the size of arowana? If it is very small you'll have to observe whether there is any aggression from the current stock. If needed be ready to transfer it to another tank. Please post some pictures once you get it. Good luck.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
For diet get it on pellets ASAP, good pellets like NLS or Hikari. Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Not as bad of a jumper as silver aro but still a big concern, keep your tank top well sealed and secure.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
A 140 is too small for a full grown arowana of any species. Feed him a good staple pellet -nls for example- and dried krill as a biweekly treat. They wil eat anything that floats. A strong glass lid is a must for arowanas, it is not uncommon for them to escape, and I'm sure it wouldn't be fun to come home and see your arowana dried up on the floor. I would also put 2.5 pound weights on the lids because once your aro reaches around 14 inches, it could probably lift one of the lids, if it tried really hard. If your aro is 5 inches or less the jag and the festae wil beat the crap out of him, as long as the fish aren't to aggresive and can not fit in the aros mouth they should be fine.

lando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
fort st john bc canada
Thanks everyone! I'm going to have a monster tank built next year when I'm in my new house! I have another tank setup ready to go if if there's any aggression at all. I'm more worried about like drop eye and how to prevent it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store