Help with white spot on gar's head

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
just as Scott aka sbuse said in the other thread, gars don't do well with meds so salt, clean water and temp will do. I had that fungus thing before in my gar, all you can do is separate the fish and put it into another tank(a plastic bin would do just fine) keep the temperature around 85F, add salt(like a tsp/gallon) and keep the water clean.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I have used Kanamycin and Metro now w/ my gar and seen little negative response. I would do 1/2 dose initially and see if it helps... if it does increase and treat as you normally would. I have never seen a patch like that. I got both w/ a local lfs from seachem ( it is 100% pure no extras or a cocktail like a lot of meds are nowadays) I mixed it w/ their food prior to feeding and let it soak anywhere from a few minutes to over-night ( a few minutes the first few administrations then over-night) if you feed pellets just mix the powder in a tablespoon or so of water real well and let the pellets soak up the liquid. I'll see if I can get Sol a bump for you.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I have used Kanamycin and Metro now w/ my gar and seen little negative response. I would do 1/2 dose initially and see if it helps... if it does increase and treat as you normally would. I have never seen a patch like that. I got both w/ a local lfs from seachem ( it is 100% pure no extras or a cocktail like a lot of meds are nowadays) I mixed it w/ their food prior to feeding and let it soak anywhere from a few minutes to over-night ( a few minutes the first few administrations then over-night) if you feed pellets just mix the powder in a tablespoon or so of water real well and let the pellets soak up the liquid. I'll see if I can get Sol a bump for you.
Yeah I have never seen anything like this and its getting worse, here it's a picture from today. As you can see it has spread to his back and from my second picture you can see my other gar and that one is 100% healthy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1377725902961.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377725955078.jpg

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Oh and I have not yet pellet trained then, they keep spitting then up when the pellets stick to there teeth.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
so I did a rather large water change last night something like 70 percent and it caused an ammonia spike, hoping my bio load can get it under control. Here is a picture of my test results. I know the nitrates are high but my city water has high nitrates.

uploadfromtaptalk1377727058123.jpg

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Ps I tested my water before the water change and there were 0 ppm ammonia

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Have you directly tested your tap? a water change alone should never result in an ammonia spike, imo something else is going on and very possibly may be the root of your issue here. I would def clear up your water issues before using any medication and see if this helps before medicating.

You can also help lower your nitrates by adding pothos or other plants either indie or growing from your tank to lower them. Excessive nitrates ime can and will make a huge difference in recover/immune system response to diseases/medications ect.

Medications and Gar are very touchy as already stated... personally I would address the water first.. then medicate if need be. adding medication atm imo is asking for a dead gar.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Have you directly tested your tap? a water change alone should never result in an ammonia spike, imo something else is going on and very possibly may be the root of your issue here. I would def clear up your water issues before using any medication and see if this helps before medicating.

You can also help lower your nitrates by adding pothos or other plants either indie or growing from your tank to lower them. Excessive nitrates ime can and will make a huge difference in recover/immune system response to diseases/medications ect.

Medications and Gar are very touchy as already stated... personally I would address the water first.. then medicate if need be. adding medication atm imo is asking for a dead gar.
Agreed, you must get to the root of the water issue. You should contact your water supplier and get a current analysis before attempting to medacate. Definatly test your tape water to get a base line. If your ammonia is spiking after a water change you should increase your bio-capacity too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store