Should I be Worried?

Kwazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2009
Colorado
Hi All,

Last night, I discovered that my ray (large female motoro) appeared to have excess slime coat that was coming off. She lives in a 300 gallon Rubbermaid pond with 3 comets. She was eating normally when I noticed this and the water was:
Trace of ammonia
No2-0
No3-50 ppm
Ph-7.6-7.8 (the usual)
Temp- 83F

I did a 50% waterchange because I was nervous, and now all is well. The ammonia is back down to 0.

Here's what I'm worried about:
Every other time I check on her, she either has the excess slime or doesn't. I'm not sure if this is normal because recently I've been out of town for 2 months, and before that I had little time to do more than meet the basic requirements for her- no real viewing time.

Activity appears to be on the slightly shy side of normal- she's been eating, active, etc. except for tonight. She's just sitting there buried with the food (shrimp) sitting on top of her. I think that's because I startled her when I walked into the room, but its still making me nervous. I changed my brand of shrimp to some cheaper ones about a month ago and haven't seen any ill effects. I'm switching back to the old brand tonight because they're all I can find now.

The big reasons I'm worried about the slime coat are that I've a) never seen/noticed it before and b) heard stories of fish behaving normally but producing excess slime under normal conditions and then suddenly dying. Possibly due to bacteria.

Anything I should do (meds, chemicals, environmental adjustments, etc), or just calm down?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
If you have been out of town for 2 months who does the water changes? They would need to be done a minimum of once a week. Who does the maintenance on the filters and such while you are gone?

Kwazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2009
Colorado
I have a friend who works at the LFS who does it. Just an update- no interest in food but otherwise normal behavior.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I'd pull the other fish out and see what happens.
Possible Ray's getting picked on.
If other fish nip at the ray, this causes stress, and they'll stop eating.
Can't hurt to try
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
isn't 50 ppm nitrate for rays pretty high?

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
I find 83 degrees too hot. I went through temp issues a while back. I keep it around 77-80. Ammonia is odd to have imo. Unless you really didnt do any wc for a long time before you did your latest one. If your ph was on the higher range as stated with some ammonia then that could cause some stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store