filter floss

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
I was always told it was good but sometimes stringy and messy. I was also told It has a more common name and it sells at walmart. what other names is it, cause lfs is kind of expensive since it is branded as filter floss

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Other folks will have to give more info. I haven't used it but I'll probably replace my blue floss with batting when the time comes to replace it.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Thanks a bunch, does it work well.putting some in AC 110, do you bag it, stuff it?? What

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hello; how you place it in a filter can require some ingenuity on your part. Much will depend on how the filter is arranged. In some of my filters it is simply a matter of wrapping the material around the old removable base. I have had some luck with rubber bands but they deteriorate over time. I have recently used nylon zip ties that seem to be durable thus far.

As you will be using the stuff in place of a commercial replacement that has a custom fit it may not be simple. I guess the filter makers try to make it difficult to encourage us to buy their specific replacements.

Good luck

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
was thinking of stuffing it the emperor 400 cartages for the 400, but I might try zip tie for the 110

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
There are two kinds: the loose stuffing and the sheets (comes in a roll). I use the loose for box filters and the sheets in sumps/dumps.

It's cheaper to buy it at Michael's (Craft Store) with their weekly 40-50% off coupon than at Wal-Mart. Not that I'd buy it from Wal-Mart even if it was a little cheaper there...

Matt

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I use Polyfil brand 100% polyester traditional batting in my canisters and power filters. It comes in a roll so it is easier to cut into sheets or sections for your particular filter. For the Aquaclear filters, I cut a single thickness as wide as the sponge and twice as tall. I only wrap it along 1/2 the bottom of the sponge and up the output side of the filter to reduce clogging. It is easily washed out using a sprayer or hose and can be used multiple times before wearing too thin.

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
I use it in alot of my filters. Buy the king size sheeted kind its dirt cheap at wally world. If you use an AC just cut a square the same size as the sponge and put it in between the sponge and under the bio.

For Marineland and Tetra HOB filters go to drsfosterandsmith and buy a set of the BIO3 replacement filters. They have a refillable shell that you can clip the batting into over and over.

I usually use a 4 layers on the top of a canister for a polishing pad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store