odd behavior need advice

cleanpainter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
United States
I have a 10-12 Jardini. have had him about a year.went through a rough bout when moving him to new tank and live food. ich, gill flukes,meds,high nitrite, ammonia. Made some rookie mistakes learned a lot.He survived and everything is good now but this fishs behavior is erratic. Water is 82f ph 7.8 amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. His eyes bug in and out of his head like teloscopically. He is constantly irritated. aggresion is low which is way weird for him. sometimes he twitches rapidly. his breathing is normal and he is eating fine. I have searched high and low and nothing I can find explains these behaviors. Im hoping some one here can help.

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
when he is eating n breathing normally then dont change a thing .... just observe, sometimes that behavior will go away
or you can move to another tank.
tank position sometimes can effect aro behavior

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
Jardini Arowana require an aquarium of at least 180 gallons with a sand or gravel substrate and should also be provided with driftwood (tannins in the driftwood will help maintain a lower pH) and vegetation; it's a good idea to have some free-floating plants or plants that will adhere to driftwood as some individuals do not tolerate rooted vegetation. They will also require a secure, enclosed top on their aquarium as they are powerful and notorious jumpers. Weekly 15-25% water changes should be carried out (frequency can vary depending on aquarium filtration efficiency) as Jardini Arowana are very sensitive to water chemstry. Water Conditions: 76-85° F, pH 6.0-7.0, KH 2-4

These guys are very very sensitive to the PH, Your PH looks way too high for it. They also like floating plants to feel secure. I copied and pasted the above information from Aquarium Domain.com so you would not think I was nuts. The african arrows like different water chemistry.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
+1 on the floating plants for cover , this helps prevent drop eye aswell as saftey cover , I know drop eye dont occur much with jars but in your case I think it may help his eyes to recover and reduce stress levels , as mentioned above bogwood wil help keep the ph down yours does seem quite high atm , how often do you do w/cs ? How much ?

cleanpainter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
United States
The doosh at my lfs sold me crushed coral that is causing the high P.H.I figured this out a day late and a hundred bucks later. Im gonna change asap im just trying to let the filter cycle well after all of the meds and trauma i put the fish through. Im running an fx6 and a marineland 360. But the fish was in a55 before with the same crushed coral for a year and the high ph never seemed to bother him before. I thought for a min an internal parasite but now i worry i did permanent brain damage from all the ups and downs of the water chemistry. I have the water chemistry stable now and have learned a lot it seems. I have some drift wood in there which has been bringing it down slowly. water changes have been very iradick. It started with ich from feeders then rid iche then tank recycling total water change. finaly got the tank to cycle and all seem well other than high ph which will be better fixed by substrate change eventually but seems really harsh rite now seeing how much this poor guy has been through. I know check the water chemistry every day and it has been stable with a slowly decreasing ph. DAAAng!!!! This has been hard stuff but it has made me totally fall in love with this hobby. P.s. thanks for the advice

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
My water ph runs at around 8 and my jardini has been fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Its not the high ph, its how much more toxic the ammonia is at high ph levels. Just try and keep you ph stable and ammonia levels at zero. You can slowly remove the crushed coral over the next month during weekly water changes.

cleanpainter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
United States
Just wanted to update. The tank has settled nicely and the arowanas behavior has returned to normal.Temp 82. amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. ph still 7.8. Still have the crushed coral. Hoping at this point that the large amount of driftwood can offset the alkalinity of the crushed coral. or that the philosophy that airs on the side that the fish will adapt to a higher ph as long as it is stable will work out. The crushed coral looks awesome and was not cheap it would be nice if i could make it work. Ph has been on a slow decline since adding more driftwood. will keep updated on matter maybe will help someone else in the future. p.s. anyone want to tell me how to change my profile picture?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My jar experience is, Ph doesn't matter. I grew one to 20" in Ph of 8+ no health issues at all. That first suggestion of only a 15 - 25% water change is crazy IMO. All fish deserve 25 - 50% weekly water changes.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
My jar experience is, Ph doesn't matter. I grew one to 20" in Ph of 8+ no health issues at all. That first suggestion of only a 15 - 25% water change is crazy IMO. All fish deserve 25 - 50% weekly water changes.
Yep thats the kind of nonsense ya get when people just cut and paste mis information from throughout the internet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store