University of Hawaii Manoa Quarry Pond Update

Dr. Cray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii via Florida
Just moved here to finish graduate school at UH manoa, and I knew I had to wet a line at the quarry pond. I finally got a chance to fish it for about 45 minutes between classes and this is what I caught. I haven't seen any updates on this place in a few years since a guy caught a pacu here sometime before 2010. I didn't see the pacu, but I did catch cichlids from all over the world. 5 star general (african riverine), Midas (Central America), a nice sized Jaguar Cichlid (Central America). I saw rift lake cichlids (africa) from the bank as well that I couldn't catch and tilapia (Nile) that I didn't throw for. I have also heard rumors of oscars in the pond, but didn't see any. I also noted some kind of small schooling fish maybe a killifish or tetra, and a few large koi. I will bring a net later this week, maybe tomorrow to try and scoop more fish. I don't have a tank, but when I start one I know where I will go :)

image(1).jpegphoto.JPGimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

photo.JPG

image(1).jpeg

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You have a Red Devil, not a Midas.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Thanks for the ID, I miss my NA natives MN haha :(
Yup Hawaiian fauna ain't same thing to NA natives...you have lot of random fish in Hawaii. Lot of exotic livebearers (you should be able to find some Cuban Limia as well as other NA livebearers such as mollies and mosquitofish), some gulf killifish and few exotic armoured catfish such as bristlenose and corydoras.

Dr. Cray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii via Florida
Yeah I have seen some corydoras, plecos, and livebarers but I havent tried to catch any yet. I've heard of funduls sp. being found here, but I have no idea where to check. I've just been roving the whole island looking for freshwater haha.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Are there any large native freshwater fish in Hawaii?
Hawaii has only five native freshwater fish species, four goby species and a sleeper species. Biggest species would be 14 inches long.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Yeah I have seen some corydoras, plecos, and livebarers but I havent tried to catch any yet. I've heard of funduls sp. being found here, but I have no idea where to check. I've just been roving the whole island looking for freshwater haha.
I think Gulf Killifish may be found in brackish water or in Pearl Harbour.

You catch any snakeheads yet? They are on Oahu. There's some Hawaiian red shrimp too and some unique freshwater snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store