Need help, is it hormoned?

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
Hello, I've been building a 55g Auloncara tank and came across a few hormoned fish along the way and was really wondering if I ran into yet another tragic mistake. I got this fish today and dripped him in a bucket where he turned very pale but didn't turn white like my others after a long trip from the fish store, he's vented as a male at about 3" and has astonishing colors. I'm hoping not, but my girlfriend is convinced he is fully hormoned, I know the fish came from lilies tropical fish in Florida because I read it right off the box when the order came in and not sure if anyone has any experience from them, it's a privately owned fish store and I haven't bought any fish from them before, they've got a 2 day return policy so if you guys think its not worth risking the $19 please give me a heads up. Not sure what the fish is but if you can ID it then it would be a great help too! Will post pictures shortly

My current fish list
Lemon jake (2) one is a female
Sulfer head
Ruben red
Eureka jacobfreibergi
Bi-color 500
Regal red shoulder
Electric blue ahli
Sunshine peacock
Red top lwanda
Cuckoo catfish
Zebra obliquiden

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
A lot of fish especially from Asia that are imported here are fed color enhancing foods which contain hormones that will even make a female peacock display full male colors at 1-2 inch length. The colors on this fish are really vibrant for its age and it seems like its probably fed hormones but I'm not sure 100%, it's my first peacock tank so I'm wondering if other owners experience this color at its size.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
If the fish turn pale, it means it is under a lot of stress, not hormones.

On the other hand, if your normal hap are 6-8 inches long, and you have a fully colored male at 2 inches, you are looking at a hormoned fish. This does not apply to mbunas. They are colored once you can see them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
It's an african peacock cichlid, Auloncara, not a Mbuna, and he's a 3inch fish that's probably brighter than my 4 inch dominant Aulonocara jacobfreibergi, I know it means its under a lot of stress when it turns pale but hormoned fish don't lose any color under any circumstances from my experience until it wears off, so it's very difficult to tell. I've gotten 2.5 inch fish that were glowing when I first started the tank but had no idea what these color enhancements were prior, so I feel overly cautious.

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
Not tryna be a jerk, but you do know you have non aulonocara fish in that tank, right?

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
Yeah I'm holding them for my friend who's currently moving, they're not staying in there for long

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
Update: fish was pooping white musucs which I guess was the intestinal lining so I returned it and randomly died overnight. I also asked why half of the fish were gone, the were because of deaths, not sales...

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Update: fish was pooping white musucs which I guess was the intestinal lining so I returned it and randomly died overnight. I also asked why half of the fish were gone, the were because of deaths, not sales...
Usually it's not wise to get the just arrive fish in a lfs. It's always a risk of a bad batch, and if you are friends with the workers there, sometimes they will tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
this is why you should always quarantine new fish before adding them to your community tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store