Really want an asian but dont wanna get ripped off

cleanpainter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
United States
I live in the United States. I want an asian aro. A man claiming to be the man at panda aquatics said " oh no problem its legal i can send you one no problem just send me four hundred dollars and it will be there the next day." Now i did look him up and it seems to be as legit as I can tell from southern california but singapore is a long way away and i worry he could keep the four hundred and i never here from him again. Every one I talk to here in the states swears the are illegal due to being on the endangered species list. I understand CITES and that for the most part but I really dont have any solid evidence wether they are legal to ship here or possess here or not. You guys seem to be the most competent advisers I have found yet... please advise. And yes I saw the article on this site about fish legal in each state but nothing specifically on Asian Aro importation or availability.

cleanpainter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
United States
I did. he said its illegal but he would risk the four hundred cause if it got here it could sell for ten times that on the BM. High hope PEWW!! shot down. Buerocracy SUCKS! My jardini will have to do.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Sounds like a rip off to me I wouldn't send $400 without being certain , depends if your a gambler and how rich you are I suppose ( im a painting contractor aswell we dont earn that much my friend , no matter how clean we are :D )

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Don't get an illegal fish, you'll regret it. Best ofcourse go for a Jardini or Silver, that's how far you can go. Maybe he might label a jardini as an "asian aro". But save yourself with trouble, don't, and it's a total rip off.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Here's the kicker- like any other tier 1 CITES animal, they're legal for private possession in the USA with a permit from Fish and Wildlife. However, the FWS has an internal policy not to issue permits for Asians as 'they could be highly invasive'.

We're boned.

I did a writeup on this while I researched why exactly we can have these fish but since I'm on my cell I don't have the link right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Until a time when enough wild population research is completed and published to show evidence that they are not endangered in the wild, they will fall under the Lacey Act (AKA: Endangered Species Act) in the US, and be illegal to own as a private citizen.

There are a few other options for cool and legal fish to keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store