LFS Alligator Gar

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
How r u sure its a gator? It looks like a florida gar but with a meaner face and bigger snout... I was unaware they had spots...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JwHiser13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Looks like a young gator to me! The rounded snout and nostril ridge very indicative of gator gars. The color and pattern look correct as well. Huge tanks, better yet ponds are recommended for these big boys though. Are you thinking of getting this fish?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
Have know idea what kind of gar it is. That's what they are selling it as. They did have a smaller Florida gar for sale as well. No I'm not buying it. I have no means to house it down the road.

It was very tempting when the kid told me he would give me a RTC for free. That's right I said free. It has a messed up mouth. Looks like a birth defect. But for free. I love those fish, but again no means to house it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
My understanding is...true Alligator Gars can get to be 7-8 feet long...and really large wild specimens can get to be 12-24 feet long. If the gar pictured above is truly an Alligator Gar...then at 15" it is only a "baby". Otherwise...it is probably a Florida Gar or a Spotted Gar...which get to be around the 2-3 foot range.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
that's for sure a gator, small gators have the spots, and the definition of the snout and face is where you can tell the difference. Beautiful fish, I hope to be able to house one in a pond someday!

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
My understanding is...true Alligator Gars can get to be 7-8 feet long...and really large wild specimens can get to be 12-24 feet long. If the gar pictured above is truly an Alligator Gar...then at 15" it is only a "baby". Otherwise...it is probably a Florida Gar or a Spotted Gar...which get to be around the 2-3 foot range.
10 foot isn't unheard of but 24 might be an exaggeration. Back in the early days of america there were rumors of 20+ footers. Those monsters had to be like 75 years old.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Love the price L O L ! I'd be lucky to get $25 for mine at 16 inches. Not that it matters. He's perfectly happy in a 300 for now.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
10 foot isn't unheard of but 24 might be an exaggeration. Back in the early days of america there were rumors of 20+ footers. Those monsters had to be like 75 years old.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I would say it really depends on the body of water they are in, I can't imagine how huge the ones that populated any of the great lakes could have gotten if they stayed healthy and full, I wouldn't doubt 24 feet in there, probably 90+ years old. In some river system around 12-16 feet max is what was usually found in my research on the specie, but in a massive body of water like Lake Ontario, who knows. Proof is found with lake sturgeon, in 2011 someone caught a 18 footer in Lake Erie, the smallest and most probaby dirtiest great lake. They are both very ancient fish w/ similar growth patterns

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store