Flex seal and products like it--- tank savers?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
so my buddy had a leak spring in his big tank, so he coated the leak w/ a bit of silicone then sealed the fresh silicone on and in place with something like flex seal, and it totally fixed the tank w/o having to take fish out or anything. is this safe for the fish? if it won't hurt the fish I'm going to keep a bottle of this handy, or even spray the clear kind on the bottoms and edges of my tanks

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pontis Lebowski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2012
Under Water Bolling Lane
One person has commented that they used flexseal in their tank. They said it did not affect their fish. But i wouldn't say its full proof. They only used a little bit. Since i haven't found an answer if its safe or not,, im going to be coating some rocks in it and set up an experimental tank. Ill let you know. I wish someone would do a serious test to find out. Looks like ill have to try.

Sent from my XT897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I used it to seal a bulkhead. I sprayed the bulkhead filled the tank and there was an oily film on top. So I drained the water then added water and drained again a few times. I then ran my filter with carbon before adding the fish. Eventhough I didn't have any fish die I will not recommend it especially with fish in the tank already. It just didn't seem right. Also the tubes to my filter now has some rubber stuck in it.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
the way i was planning on using it was spraying the outside of new tanks or when i happen to empty old tanks, on the outside not the inside. does anyone think it can get into the tank that way? it just seems like a good peace of mind thing that there is more then just a silicone barrier holding back hundreds of lbs of water haha

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
I had bought a sump that leaked on me when I got it home and filled it up. I sprayed the outside bottom and went up about an inch on the sides use silicone on the inside seams. I house stingrays and the filter has been up and running for about a year no problems or leaks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1424028054081.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1424028079303.jpg

bes426

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2015
so my buddy had a leak spring in his big tank, so he coated the leak w/ a bit of silicone then sealed the fresh silicone on and in place with something like flex seal, and it totally fixed the tank w/o having to take fish out or anything. is this safe for the fish? if it won't hurt the fish I'm going to keep a bottle of this handy, or even spray the clear kind on the bottoms and edges of my tanks

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
so is there an update on flex seal? are your fish still safe?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store