How are you ready for a power outage

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I got a notice from my electric company last week. Sept 10 power will be shut off for repairs from 7:00AM to 3:00PM. That is 8 hours! last time we had a power outage a couple years ago for 5hr I lost a lot of nice fish from my big tank. After that incident I went and purchased a used Generac 5500 watt generator. So now i'm ready!! I did a test run the other day. Powered my refrigerator and all 4 of my tanks pumps and filters. I might even power my neighbors frige if he wants, I'm ready this time!

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
Thats good to hear. Sometimes we get outages with out warnings and they always happen when im not home! I dont have the money for a generator but those battery operated air pumps might come in handy

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Was without power for eight days after the hurricane last year. I have four over stocked tanks two 420 and a 300 and a one hundred fifty gallon tank. Had my generator running for eight strait days,if not for the generator i would have lost all my fish. I do not know if a lot of people know it or not,but you need to change the oil every 50 hours or it can break down on you. Also I would recommend that if you have natural gas in your home you get a natural gas generator, Because after the storm it was really hard to get gasoline I had two wait on line for hours. and if you get a gas powered one get a least five five gallon storage cans,because after the storm hits there are none to be found. And finally I suggest you get an adapter so you can back feed your electric panel so you do not have to run cords all over the house,and your heat and telephone will work. I have a 55.000 watt one and it seems to do the job

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
Treat your stored gas with sta-bil as well. It'll keep the gas good to go when stored for long periods of time. Ethanol in gasoline makes it go bad pretty fast (30 days or so), and sta-bil will keep it from doing so. It'll also help the carb from gumming up if you don't drain the carb when letting it sit for extended periods of time (although I'd recommend just draining the carb).

Best bet is to find a good cheap generator on craigslist or something. For $50, you can have all the power you need to keep your tanks (and probably your fridge and freezer) running in the event of a power outage. We had a power outage that lasted for about a week last year because of tornados. If you didn't have a generator, you would lose all your BB in your filters (unless you used sponge filters in which case you can use battery powered air pumps)...not to mention what would happen to my half cow of beef in my deep freezer :)

If you really want to get high tech about it, you can wire a generator into your house so that it'll kick on if it senses that your power goes out. That way, if you're not home, your generator will automatically kick on and everything will run as if nothing happened. I haven't done this, but I've heard it's super nice, but costs quite a bit of money.

Was without power for eight days after the hurricane last year. I have four over stocked tanks two 420 and a 300 and a one hundred fifty gallon tank. Had my generator running for eight strait days,if not for the generator i would have lost all my fish. I do not know if a lot of people know it or not,but you need to change the oil every 50 hours or it can break down on you. Also I would recommend that if you have natural gas in your home you get a natural gas generator, Because after the storm it was really hard to get gasoline I had two wait on line for hours. and if you get a gas powered one get a least five five gallon storage cans,because after the storm hits there are none to be found. And finally I suggest you get an adapter so you can back feed your electric panel so you do not have to run cords all over the house,and your heat and telephone will work. I have a 55.000 watt one and it seems to do the job

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Generator envy here! I have a 20 KW that's too small to power my whole house.... wish I had gone larger....the fish will be taken care of, though.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I have a really small generator can probably power the tank and maybe the fridge. I got it from my parents when they upgraded. I do have a couple of battery powered air pumps too. Way to many times I have lost power and not had anything as a back up or backups for my backs ups which died. I think I am good now!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've been meaning to get some kind of back up generator but how would I use it with multiple tanks that are situated around the room?

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I've been meaning to get some kind of back up generator but how would I use it with multiple tanks that are situated around the room?
You'd have to put the tanks on surge protectors and run extension cords from the surge protectors into the generator.

Recumbent

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
San Diego
I have 9.4 kW of solar, 3 kVA inverter and 1.5 kVA server farm inverters each with 8 AGM batteries (11 kWh), 9000 W generator, 7000 W generator, 2 battery powered cars (42 & 24 kWh), 5 computer UPS, and 2 air pumps with built in batteries. Can you tell I'm a EE with 17 tanks (>3000G total). I'm ready for almost anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store