king hen weird behavior

valderi123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2009
Golden, CO
just walked in to find my king hen with her tail sticking straight up and same with the front of her disk and she was shaking. then she swam around erratically into the glass and plants. After about 10 minutes she has calmed down and seems fairly normal. any thoughts? and every one else is completely normal.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I know this doesn't help exactly but someone posted a similar situation with their larger retic female earlier today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

topkat20

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
manchester
was there any other rays in the tank with her sounds like she has been stung by another ray is she breathing fast

valderi123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2009
Golden, CO
was there any other rays in the tank with her sounds like she has been stung by another ray is she breathing fast
there are other rays but she had no wounds, and the other rays barbs all looked okay. Shes been in qt for about 16 hours acting normal and eating.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Sounds like she is more sensative to ammonia. Moving her to a different tank and better water perked her up.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
This is very similar to an episode that my late flower went through. All water params were fine, I didn't have any ammonia or nitrites. Hopefully its just the ammonia. I contacted several importers who seemed to think it was some type of seizure or even a stroke. Nothing to verify this though. She was never the same afterwards. She was umbrella'd for a couple weeks as if she had some type of damage, muscular or internal I could not say. She was a bully when feeding before episode and timid afterwards. I ended up separating her for quite a few months she became aggressive feeding again. So moved her back with the others where she again became bullied and had her food stolen. After two years I ended up losing her even after separating. She was the only ray I ever lost. :(
I might still have the video of the episode, will try to find it and post it for comparisons.

Here is the vid....am uploading it now to you tube (will be available shortly). It took me a couple of minutes to get the camera and start videoing. Parts that I missed were her swimming like this and banging into the sides of tank and the driftwood, completely out of control. Hopefully yours isn't for the same conditions and/or symptoms.

[YT]q2RIX5rElVg[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store