can a single 300w heater keep temps in a 180

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
this has been bugging me, yea I know that 2 are better than 1 if one fails. I want to know if a I am just calibrating this wrong. I can get the temps up but it stays on for like 7-10 minutes and off for 2-3 minutes. I know the 300ws keeps my 125 gallons peachy. is it just me calibrating wrong, I hate to sound dumb but calibrating a jauger is the hardest; they are my fav heater and I have them set right on my others. Which brings me back to my post, would you get say 2x 250w heaters. Set them to the same; will they come on at the same time, heat up faster then cut off, or will they mismatch and one be on, and the other off. OR can I calibrate the jauger to work right. I don't have a lid but when not viewing I keep a foam insulate on top.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I have a single 300 watt on my 450 and its fine. Of course I live in phoenix and its an acrylic tank. So you need to give us more information if you want an accurate answer....

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
I gave tank size and w heater, umm I live in NC, and if air is on during summer it may get 73-75, in winter it stays 70s. I am looking for the most cost effective way

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the most cost effective way."

There are 2 costs to heat a tank. 1) the cost of the heaters and 2) the cost of the electricity.

1) Heater cost is fixed and of course you might pay more for 2 heaters than for 1. It may be more efficient if you don't have enough outlets or save you a few dollars to get just one heater. The offset is that it's safer to have 2 than 1, but each person has to make that choice.

2) Heating with 1 or 2 heaters has nothing to do with efficiency. Wattage is converted directly into heat. You don't use more or less depending on how many heaters you have, how often they come on, why they come on, or when they come on. It doesn't save money for both to come on simultaneously, one to always come on first or for each to randomly come on first. They come on, heat, turn off. In a practical sense, you can't reduce kwh (i.e., electricity cost) by using 1 or using 2. (Technically, you might pay 1-2% more in electrical leakage, but this to me is an impractical concern.)

You can lower electric heating cost by adding insulation, reducing evaporation, raising the ambient room temperature or lowering the target temp on the tank.

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
So kinda what your saying is, any descent watt heater can handle any tank, it will just stay on longer. I just wonder why the on time is triple the off time, I mean, I have 3 temp gages in water all say the same 80.8 and don't go down but the heater comes on. I don't see how that much heat evaporates over 2 minutes whereas on my 125s; both tanks are missing the center lid and there heaters come on for 5 minutes and stay off for 10-15. I guess I am just having a doh'oh moment. I need to find a success for lid for light to penetrate to tank. it is a 6ft long old tank with 1 in thick glass and no brace. I keep foam insolent over it when not down there.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the most cost effective way."

There are 2 costs to heat a tank. 1) the cost of the heaters and 2) the cost of the electricity.

1) Heater cost is fixed and of course you might pay more for 2 heaters than for 1. It may be more efficient if you don't have enough outlets or save you a few dollars to get just one heater. The offset is that it's safer to have 2 than 1, but each person has to make that choice.

2) Heating with 1 or 2 heaters has nothing to do with efficiency. Wattage is converted directly into heat. You don't use more or less depending on how many heaters you have, how often they come on, why they come on, or when they come on. It doesn't save money for both to come on simultaneously, one to always come on first or for each to randomly come on first. They come on, heat, turn off. In a practical sense, you can't reduce kwh (i.e., electricity cost) by using 1 or using 2. (Technically, you might pay 1-2% more in electrical leakage, but this to me is an impractical concern.)

You can lower electric heating cost by adding insulation, reducing evaporation, raising the ambient room temperature or lowering the target temp on the tank.
+1

Insulation is the key. Also lower your tank temps. Mine drop to 75 in the winter and go up to 85 in the summer. My fish are fine, huge, and very old. Of course if you want to grow something out, you need higher temps so ya gota pay.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Sounds as thou the heater comes on during the warm months of the year. If so, one way to save expense may be to have the ambient temp in the house match the temp of the tanks. Perhaps have the AC set to 75 degrees and the tank temp set to 75 degrees. This way the AC unit is not working against the tank heaters. If you are concerned about the fish needing to be at 80 degrees, most fish I am familiar with can do well at temperatures down to 70 degrees F. List your fish if this is a concern and members who keep them can give an insight about this.

In the cold months the heater can be set to 75 degrees or even lower. Perhaps down to around 70 degrees, again depending on the fish. One advantage during the winter months is that a tank in the living area of a house will give its heat into the house and relieve the effort of the furnace. A possible disadvantage of the tank heater being the way it makes heat thru electrical current resistance. This method of converting electricity to heat is less efficient than many house heating systems.

I have kept many tanks in the lower 70's during the winter months without problems. I lived in NC for a couple of years near Wilmington and that far south the warm months could be a bit intense. The winter months were mild compared to those where I had been from, Harlan KY. I now live in TN and not far from parts of NC. The northern parts of NC can have colder winters, especially in the mountains.

Good luck

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
I did not know you could keep then in 70s, I thought 78 was lowest
My stock is severums, angels, cories, bgk and blood parrots(soon to be gone)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
If you are worried about heaters mismatching buy a heater controller. You can still use your favorite brand of heater and eliminate the thermostat in it. You can also use multiple heaters on the same controller and have them come on at the same time. Although I would prefer a titanium heating element rather than a glass heater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store