The USER FRIENDLY Bowfin compatibility thread

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
The sticky is way too wordy and technical and way too difficult to sludge through.

So, let's go with an user-friendly thread this time.

What fish have you kept Bowfin with? How did it go?

I'll start - Mine killed all of his siblings at a 1 - 1 1/2 inch size. I have not tried keeping him with any other fish. He is 8 inches now - one year later.

I'd love to know what possible tankmates might work, which is why I started this thread.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
My brother has 2 bowfin from about 12-16". They are kept with gar polys oscars datnoids without any problems for over a year or so.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
my experience is they are fine with anything but other bowfin.

bigme213

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
Mine is about 6" and has killed both of its siblings also. It's alone now but I have been wanting to introduce my belly crawler of similar size and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I would imagine any type of catfish or slow bottom dwelling fish would work fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Please let me know if you do introduce yours to the Pike, and tell me what happens.

I would like actual experiences, not speculation. There are a lot of things I could imagine, too, but that isn't a good excuse for having fish killed :)

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
The individual varied temperament of these fish really forgos the ability to know just what will or will not work in a particular case. I would not rely on others observations to develop a plan for these fish. Really, I have kept some that would kill everything, others that I kept with a tank of Minnows and it never touched them. I have kept them in groups with no problem for years and then ended up with just one in the tank. The best way to determine the individual temperment of your fish is really just what is described in the Sticky. That is why it was put in there in the wording it was.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
However - the sticky, with the wording as it is, is still based on others' observations.

I am choosing not to be ignorant, and do my due diligence. In addition, this forum is for sharing information, which is pretty much based on personal observations - Not only that; it's fun to learn about others' experiences - that does not mean I'll copy what others have done.

The last thing I want to hear is: Oh, I tried this - and my prized (insert fish here) got killed, because somebody did not do their research.

I love Bowfin, and as a Bowfin owner, I love to hear stories and experiences from others who have, or had them. I just don't want to wade through the technicalities in the sticky. That's all.

Stay cool.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
haha Ryan seems like you put too much time into the stickies:p

as much as you'd like to hear stories & experiences from others, i would still advise you "wade through the technicalities". it might be a bit much, but it's good stuff if you take the time to go through it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store