Red Sea Purple Tang VS Regular Purple?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey,

Just wanted to know if thier is any differences between Red Sea Purple Tang vs Regular Purple Tangs?? Not just where they are collected...

Thanks

Paulkline

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Carmel, Indiana
As far as I know of the Red Sea purple tangs are much brighter than regular ones. I see them every once and a while on divers den on live aquaria. I think they might have one currently, if so you should check it out. Like any other fish you need do some research on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
The fish store by me has a red sea section. When I compare the red sea fish from the non red sea fish I can't tell the diffrence. Especially for the price diffrence.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I always thought all purple tangs were from the Red Sea? Can someone correct me on this? With the price difference, collection points in species that look the exact same I think are rediculous! The Harlequin Tuskfish for example. The Australian one is like $100 more and I personally can't see the difference between it and the Indonesian

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey the purple is not for me, my cousin has one and asked me. Im all freshwater for now lol. I will look into it more.

Also I think the tusks are an awesome looking fish!!

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Purple tang is from Red sea!

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I don't know if it still holds true now a days, but way back when I worked in a LFS ... the difference in price with the Red Sea stuff vs the same species from the Pacific was the fact the Red Sea stuff was never collected via cyanide where at the time, that was a normal collection technique in certain locations in the Pacific. So you were paying more to make sure the fish wasn't poisoned on collection since cyanide collected fish often had health issues and didn't live as long.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
Well if your talking about Zebrasoma xanthurum there origin is the red sea some places may just use the location of origin in front of there name of fish there selling that is my thoughts.

mr.reef24

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store