Got stung by ray

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Didnt know where to put this in the fishing section because I was fishing or here or what but, here is a copy and paste of my ordeal I posted on the local fishing forum

Well, it happened.

Ginzu and I decided to take our families to my super duper secret wade fishing spot to do a bit of fishing and relaxing.

The fishing was slow at first but once the tide started pulling out good it was on. We each managed a few slot reds in relatively short order once they started biting.

Then it happened.

As usual while wade fishing we had seen some rays but nothing out of the ordinary. I even gave out the, "remember to do the stingray shuffle warning."

Apparently I didnt heed my own warning. After we landed a double on reds we walked back to the beach for a beverage. Once back to fishing I went to cast and it happened.

At first I though a crab got me. The hit was right in the side of the arch of my foot. It hurt pretty good. I cast out my line and within about a minute I realized it wasnt a crab. I had some intense pain starting to shoot up my leg to my groin. Ginzu was already hooked up and in the fight with me gimping around his fish tangled my line.

After he landed the red and with the bite hot I really didnt want to leave and thought, for a second, I could tough it out, but alas we were out of bait and the pain was just getting worse.

On the walk back to the beach I saw what I got stung by. As stated earlier we had seen a few average sized rays but nothing out of the ordinary. However, on the walk back there were dozens and dozens of little ray pups every where! Its like they came out of no where! The walk back was not only painful but rather nerve racking!

Ginzu had his family there and I had my daughter and we were all having a good time so I once again decided to try and tough it out. Nope, wasnt happening.

The pain was just intensifying to the most severe pain Ive personally ever been in. Luckily there was extra people with us for some one to drive my car back, Im not sure it would have been possible for me to have driven!

The twenty or so minute drive home was nearly unbearable.

My wife had the tub full of hot water when I got home and let me tell you that stuff works wonders. Within seconds the pain was brought down to a very tolerable level.

After about 15 minutes of soaking or so there was just a moderate but tolerable ache so I thought I was fine. I got out and made it about 45 seconds and the pain was right back!

It took nearly two hours of soaking for the toxin to dissipate.

My foot is still sore but nothing bad. To be honest the wound is small MAYBE a quarter of an inch. I absolutely could not imagine getting stung by a 4" barb in the calf by a larger ray. If that happens Id assume just cut my leg off.

From now on, when I go to ray thick areas I think Im going to try and leave a bucket of water in the sun in the parking lot so it will get hot. Im telling you guys that hot water trick works WONDERS and if you get tagged get some hot water, as hot as you can stand, on the wound ASAP.

I hope NO ONE ever has to experience that!

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
That sucks. I've been stung at least 6 times while surfing. The last one was in my hand.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
That sucks. I've been stung at least 6 times while surfing. The last one was in my hand.
Six times?! Am I being a baby or something because I think after the second time Id give up surfing. Id rather have a great white take a nibble on my leg then get stung again!

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Six times?! Am I being a baby or something because I think after the second time Id give up surfing. Id rather have a great white take a nibble on my leg then get stung again!
Until a great white does ;) then you'd wanna go back to Ray stingings

Sent from mobile app.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Naw man it hurts like all hell. But around here when you surf the beach breaks in the summer, its just something that happens. Like a high powered bee sting. I stick to surfing mostly reef breaks now, so stingrays aren't on my list of things to worry about.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Naw man it hurts like all hell. But around here when you surf the beach breaks in the summer, its just something that happens. Like a high powered bee sting. I stick to surfing mostly reef breaks now, so stingrays aren't on my list of things to worry about.
High powered bee stings?! Hell no! I have a scar on my stomach after getting tagged by a hornet over 15 years ago, NOTHING like that. Ive had stitches with out anesthesia, broken bones and nearly died from a rare bacterial infection that causes extreme body pain. I swear this was 10x worse then those. Perhaps the species I got hit by has a bit more kick to them. It sucked major you know what!

BUT, the pain really was relieved nearly instantaneously once I submerged it in hot water so that was a plus I suppose.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Most accurate description of getting tagged by a stingray is injecting yourself with gasoline, then lighting it on fire.

Glad you made it out ok, could have been a lot worse. Just keep the wound clean as it heals.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Would hip waders keep u safe from ray stings? Or would it go right through?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Depends on the kind of them, I would say yes but I wouldn't want to be the first one testing ;)

Sent from mobile app.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store