Best background?

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
I have a 55G SA cichlid tank and I am in need of a background for it. I am wondering what you guys would suggest that I put on there. I was thinking black. The tank consists of mostly drift wood with a few plants.

BODYDUB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Killeen
Black or you could buy one of those thin rock backgrounds that fit inside the tank. They're not that thick at all, maybe about half an inch................

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Two options have worked for me if you don't want to paint the back glass:

1. Get whatever color posterboard you want and just tape it to the back trim of the tank.

2. My house gets cold in the winter - between 60-65. I buy a sheet of styrofoam insulation from Home Depot/Lowes and cut it to the size of the glass back/bottom/sides whatever. You can paint the styrofoam any color you want. This traps the heat from your heater in the tank & will cut down on your elec bill.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Black or you could buy one of those thin rock backgrounds that fit inside the tank. They're not that thick at all, maybe about half an inch................
That sounds like the 3D backgrounds...if so they are nice but can be expensive.You can't go wrong with black or a nice shade of blue.My biggest tank has black and I will eventually switch all of them to black or blue.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm not ashamed to say.. I prefer the fake plant backgrounds for a nice driftwood/planted tank vs a solid color. as much as i'de say go w/ a 3d... 55's are just so narrow as is... depending what your keeping even 1/2 an inch taken away from the back could end up being an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store