Fresh to salt

mcayla cierra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
INDIANA
What are some steps and preparations I need to take to clean and prepare a 90 gal that was setup as an African cichlid tank for a saltwater makeover? Can I just scrub the tank and filter and start setup? Is there a need to bleach anything?

vikash345678

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Queens New York
What are some steps and preparations I need to take to clean and prepare a 90 gal that was setup as an African cichlid tank for a saltwater makeover? Can I just scrub the tank and filter and start setup? Is there a need to bleach anything?
What I did was take some dish soap and scrub it will hot water run it with clean water for at least a few hours about 3 then wash out everything and your good to go btw what type of filter are you using

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
well I would let the tank dry out then fill it up and add a small amount of bleach let it soak over night then wash it out till there is no smell of bleach at all. That is usually what I do as far as filter I would try to just replace everything with new and maybe get fresh clean water and let the filter just run the water through it and do this for a day or two so all that water will get rid of any bacteria or so forth and clean it real good. Then get a good saltwater book and before you start ask questions and right down some of your plans so you don't dive in and waste money on something you may feel isn't your thing. And, anytime you need help Private message me

Mr.reef24

mcayla cierra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
INDIANA
Why bleach everything what kind of problems would I run into to. The tank was really clean not much algae at all I cleaned it outside with white vinegar and rinsed it well then it sat in the sun to dry

mcayla cierra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
INDIANA
Is there any good articles on converting fresh to salt I've read a lot but not too much on preparing a freshwater setup for saltwater

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Just use clean water to rinse it down - no soap or bleach you don't need residuals on the glass. Might want to check into R/O water before filling it - save you some headaches down the road. Also don't start out using reef salt will also help out down the road.

mcayla cierra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
INDIANA
I don't know what to believe some people swear I shouldn't use tap water but a lot of people say they have been using tap and treating it with prime for years and have had no problems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store