Would this work

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
Hopefully the link works. Just wondering if this would work to replace the use of prime. If the link don't work it's a exterior mounted water filter. thanks for the input :)
Did you think about the effect this sort of product would have on your tanks beneficial bacteria.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
So basically the equivalent to a RO/Di filter and strip out all the minerals in the water.
My recollection is that RO/DI filters are in the sub 1 micron level. I thought RO/DI was somewhere between microfiltration and nanofiltration, which are significantly smaller than 100 microns (by factors of 100 to 1,000+), although that is based upon memory.

100 micron filters are not going to remove bacteria, much less dissolved metals. Dissolved gases like chlorine are not going to be removed at that level either based on being strained by physical media, although I'm not sure if the carbon will help on that issue. Due to cost, carbon is a poor choice compared to chemicals or even old school aging methods (agitation, boiling, short term storage.)

Bottom line is that this isn't imo a worthy choice over Prime.

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
There's one small detail in the specs for the product that the OP linked above that should be considered carefully:

"High flow carbon filter with KDF to prevent bacteria growth"

The filter is treated with something to prevent bacteria growth inside the filter itself. If the filter is treated with something that prevents bacteria growth inside the filter...you can bet that passing aquarium water thru the filter can't be good for the BB either.

LordWookie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Oregon
There's one small detail in the specs for the product that the OP linked above that should be considered carefully:

"High flow carbon filter with KDF to prevent bacteria growth"

The filter is treated with something to prevent bacteria growth inside the filter itself. If the filter is treated with something that prevents bacteria growth inside the filter...you can bet that passing aquarium water thru the filter can't be good for the BB either.
Just an idea, but it would only used to refill up the tank for water changes and not used as an inline filter. now if the KDF was not contained to just the filter and got in to the aquarium system itself I can see it causing problems for the BB but not if it is just supplying clean water to the aquarium during a water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store